Plucking the neck?

hladik

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 23, 2014
Arlington, Texas
Any idea why my ladies are all of a sudden picking on her? All have been together since birth (1 year in March) but recently started plucking some neck feathers. No rooster around. All are still laying regularly. Grandma farmer says to slap some grease on the neck to make it stop... any other ideas?

I don't think anyone is picking on her, it appears to be a neck molt, which they sometimes do, it's not a full body molt, they just molt around the neck area. You are seeing the feathers growing in.

So glad you posted this question. I have three almost year old chickens that look just like this. I was wondering what was going on with them too.

I don't think anyone is picking on her, it appears to be a neck molt, which they sometimes do, it's not a full body molt, they just molt around the neck area. You are seeing the feathers growing in.

I'm agreeing with oldhienlikesdogs on this one mine did it too and even with the measly 6 birds I have it looked like a red feathered down pillow exploded even though it was only their neck.

That is good to know. I guess I didn't realize they would molt. I hadn't seen feathers around the coop, but I haven't spent a lot of time out there lately since it is dark before I get home.

sometimes if their feed doesn't contain enough protein they will eat their feathers as they come out my ameraucana ash does it all the time I've been raising it a little bit every time I have to go to the feed store I think she just likes eating feathers.

Back
Top Bottom