1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Plug in or out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyanLuv, Dec 9, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    Ok, so I've read that you take one vent plug out and leave the other one in until the 18th day and you take the other out. So I have the LG still air bator and I've had it plugged in for 4 hours or so.... My temp shifts from 98-100 and I have the hydrometer/thermometer on a 1 inch block in the middle. I added 3 teaspoons of water to the middle and 1 tsp each to each side of the big well in the bottom. Before I put it in the bator the humidity in my house was 30% and when I put it in the bater an hour later it said 20%. I put the plug back in the bator and the humidity got up to 31%. I took the plug back out an hour ago and now it says 29%. So should I leave the plug in? or take it out and add more water? Just trying to get the humidity level straightened out before I add eggs tomorrow. Thanks everyone!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Leave both the plugs in and add more water. In my still air I had to keep the big trough and one small one just to get mine to reach 45%. Remove both plugs on day 18, fill all the reservoirs, and make sure you have some sponges to go in it, cause you'll probably need them.

3. WyanLuv

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    The temp seems ok though? With it being on a little block should it be a little cooler since it is not as tall as an egg? I just don't want to over cook it.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Still air should be 101.5 at the top of the eggs, so the temp is about 100 at the center of the egg. Are you hand turning or do you have a turner? Either way, you might want to bring it up a degree or so. It is better, IMO, to have the temp a bit on the higher side. The fluctuations are normal. Mine would go between 97-102 all the time this summer.

5. WyanLuv

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I am going to use the egg carton method. I have two cartons ready and two sticks to turn them from side to side three times a day. I didn't want to put out for a turner right now and thought doing it that way would be quicker so that the lid isn't off the bator as long as it would be to turn them by hand.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think you should take one out, Air flow is VERY important for incubation. Then on day 18 take the other out. Remember that when adding water to raise the hum it could take a while to raise. Your temp should be a little higer about 101 ish, I have founf that if I keep my LG at about 101.5 ish at night it only drops to about 100.

If you stll cant get the hum up you could add a humidifier to the room.

between 35% to 40% is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by