Plymouth rock Roo x RIR

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
Hello,

I really want a Rock rooster, i was wondering if i breed him with RIR hens if the characteristics would be similar to black star minus the sex link. I dont care what they look like, I just want them to be good layers, not broody and hopefully not die in 3 years

I can’t recall if it is a Plymouth Rock x RIR that maintains the color difference in chicks. Honestly within a few weeks they start sorting out by behavior and feathering in so not a big deal. Both are the same size breeds and this cross would not be bad. I have noticed inbred has a decreasing viability in chicks. Do you have production or heritage birds?

Thank you, i dot have the chickens yet, i didnt realize a Rir could be production or heritage

Barred rock Heritage in my opinion are nicer looking, are broody and take care of chicks, and are of a more docile temperament. Production are not broody, more aggressive, but are very interesting behavior wise. Both are dual-purpose and lay plenty of eggs.

Hello,

I really want a Rock rooster, i was wondering if i breed him with RIR hens if the characteristics would be similar to black star minus the sex link. I dont care what they look like, I just want them to be good layers, not broody and hopefully not die in 3 years
They will be basically the same as a black star minus the sex linkage

Back
Top Bottom