Plymouth Rock thread!

You have a classic production barred rock there are thousands of them out there sold at tractor supply feed stores and hatcheries. The barred rocks I posted for a person who is making a change from feed store to Standard Breed Barred Rocks or the old fashion original kind is very very very rare. Hard as hens teeth a few years ago to locate. On this thread and the other thread I started many have this fowl and share their eggs and chicks with newbies so they can have this kind of old fowl chicken.

Your female may lay 50 more eggs per year than the pure breed old fashion kind but they are breed to lay fast lay lots of eggs and then replace them in about 18 moths to two years as they burn out as a dual purpose chicken is not designed to be a high egg laying bird like a leghorn is.

I see these on the side of the road as I drive by peoples yards. Very common and make good pets and egg layers for the home.

You have done a good job raising them and that's a gift from god a lot of people cant do. Thanks for posting on our thread.

Last edited:
200x200px-ZC-43fc8d7c_IMG_0001.jpeg
Some one asked if I would post a picture of a young Barred Rock Male with a good tail. So here it is. Jamie Duckworth line. three years ago Duckworth male a year ago. Great tail as I have seen in Ten years. This is the result of Tom Wheeler crossing a white rock onto a barred rock many years ago. Jamie mixed this in to his other line six years ago. So if anyone wants to cross a bunch of strains into a line its all ready been done correctly. great strain of barred rocks.
Wow that is one impressive tail!

Is there anyone wanting a bantam BR cockerel? He is sadly not show quality for my little 4h'r as the poor guy got his comb pecked at when he was very young and it hasn't developed beautifully. We have Dick Horstman babies that were hatched in May. He would be a very nice addition to someone's breeding program. I'd like to trade for another bantam BR that she could show at 4H.

Someone asked if I would post a picture of a young Barred Rock Male with a good tail. so here it is.
Duckworth male a year ago. Great tail as I have seen in Ten years. This is the result of Tom Wheeler crossing a white rock onto a barred rock many years ago.
Jamie mixed this in to his other line six years ago. So if anyone wants to cross a bunch of strains into a line its all ready been done correctly. great strain of barred rocks.
He is just beautiful!!

This is the first year that I have every own Plymouth Rocks and have the white ones. Does anyone have solid Black Plymouth Rocks? Or do they even come in solid black?

This is the first year that I have every own Plymouth Rocks and have the white ones. Does anyone have solid Black Plymouth Rocks? Or do they even come in solid black?
Yes, I have a black Rock hen. It is a natural result of breeding the blues. I have two blues, a splash and one black. She's ultra broody.

To kayc:

Love those wonderful BR hens, no matter where you get them. The hatchery stock made me fall in love with the breed and barred variety. I will never be without a BR hen in my flock, whether old time heritage lines or my hatchery descendants. They're wonderful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom