Plymouth Rock thread!

Hey guys new guy again
frow.gif
Why do some rocks have bright yellow legs and some are pale yellow? and is one preferred over the other?

Hey guys new guy again
frow.gif
Why do some rocks have bright yellow legs and some are pale yellow? and is one preferred over the other?
SOP calls for yellow legs in ALL Plymouth Rocks....I always try to select for the brightest yellow legs if everything else is the same in terms of type. Maintaining yellow legs in some varieties can be a bit of a challenge

SOP calls for yellow legs in ALL Plymouth Rocks....I always try to select for the brightest yellow legs if everything else is the same in terms of type. Maintaining yellow legs in some varieties can be a bit of a challenge
Thanks.. we bought 2 hens today that had pale legs our roo has very bright legs and the 4 young roos we sold had very bright legs so had me wondering what was best.

Thanks.. we bought 2 hens today that had pale legs our roo has very bright legs and the 4 young roos we sold had very bright legs so had me wondering what was best.
I've noticed that my GSBR SOP pullets had nice, bright yellow when they were not in egg production...they tend to slightly 'dull' or wash out a tad bit when in full egg production...but still yellow nonetheless.

Cindy

Genetics is a player in giving the birds a very yellow, more desirable leg color, but nutrition has more to do with it from what I have observed. Some feeds have marigold in them to enhance the yellow, and free range birds generally will have a darker yellow than their penned flock mates. There seems to be a difference in the part of the country they are raised in also. There is some speculation that it has something to do with the soil, in the different regions. I have heard of birds brought from the midwest to Florida that had bright yellow legs that lightened with in 2 weeks. Seen the same thing with a change in diet. .......stan

here are my choc rock pair. I am very excited to see how they will turn out. The cockerel is on the right. His comb is already very obvious. Her legs are the wrong color but this is a project bird and I imagine that over time the lighter legs will come through. The pullet looks black but she is mostly the color of semi-sweet chocolate.

Something I have noticed in my 3 week old Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks is that I have 6 that are darker and 6 that are lighter. The 6 that are darker have more penciled in their wing, back and tail chick feathers coming in. Can anyone tell me if there is anything to this.

Picked these up today.. put add on CL looking for SS guy calls that has some and asked if i would be interested in these PR's ummm..YEAH !! 2 pullets and a cockeral.. very excited about them even more than the Speckled Sussex that i have been wanting

Back
Top Bottom