Plymouth Rock thread!

Good Mourning well this is a male line that has males who's tails do fill out nicely. When I saw this picture it reminded me of some bard rocks a trio that was brought in to Pensacola Poultry Show that I showed at about four years ago. They came direct out of the yards of Marvin's and he also has vey nice white Rock strain. These birds are breed by Marvin in Arizona and he got them from Glen Holgelson a old breeder from Arizona who had them at least 20 years. So they have been breed line breed that is for about 50 years. The sources tell me they came from Ralph Sturgeon. This tail if you seen some of the old E B Thompson line pictures from the 1920s has that look. So one of the best finished tails I have seen in the last three years. I hope one day the Frank Reese Males that Jeremy has in Nebraska will have tails like these. This would be a good line to get and my partner in White Plymouth Rocks Mr. Weaver in Tenn has this line as well.

Yes I was writing about you and your idea about four different lines and the broodiness factor. If you want barred Rocks to look like this guy broodiness breeding pressure will put you in the reverse gear. Its ok to have a hen go broody such as these dual purpose breeds will do and they will some times in the South when it gets real hot not much you can do about it. I had a white rock hen my best I ever raised who lived 8 years who layed like a machine go broody thee times. I just put call duck eggs under her and she was the best incubator to hatch them I ever had.

I will work on Jamie Duckworth for you it would be a great experience to make a Saturday road trip to his house and see his birds get you some good breeding stock but more than anything get him to be your mentor. This is priceless stuff to get help from someone who has say five years expertise and he is a master of the Hogan method of culling which will save you years of work once you learn this method of culling dual purpose birds like our Rocks.

Thanks for the pictures of this male. Does he have females to be breed to him? bob

I just read he is dead. God what a shame. Please keep this picture and try to breed and raisie some to look like him. He is one of the best barred rocks to live in the last ten years.
Yes, Bob, it is a tragedy. Both Scott and I were absolutely crushed when it happened. I have his half sisters, of course, and one of his daughters and hope one day to have another male of his caliber. Even when breeding the hens to my Delaware rooster, that Stukel barring will shine through some of the chicks, like this 13 week old cockerel out of the largest Stukel hen and my breeder line Delaware rooster. The smaller cockerel with him is from the same mating, but is more what you'd expect from a sex link type male.

Last edited:
[quote name="PortmanChicks" These are my male and female rocks. They are about 10-13 weeks. I think he is a pretty handsome boy!
[/quote]

Hello PortmanChicks

I'm happy to see another Canadian on this thread! And Nova Scotia is really close too!

Your barred rocks look great to me. Hope you keep them outside most of the time! ;)

I'm looking for other silver pencilled plymouth rocks in the Maritimes. Do you know of any breeders in Nova Scotia? If so, please send me a personal message.

Thank you.

PEI Chicken

here is a side view of him verrrrrrrrrrry slow to develop .
Hey Ken I know what you mean on the slowwwww part but see he has a tail I had 6 GSBR cockerels (down to just 2 breeding males now) but the 2 latest bloomers out of the group had the best development of a so-called/somewhat tail. So there is maybe some more good than bad here on having the patience to wait on these guys. maybe? LOL I say yeah

Jeff

Last edited:
Good Mourning well this is a male line that has males who's tails do fill out nicely. When I saw this picture it reminded me of some bard rocks a trio that was brought in to Pensacola Poultry Show that I showed at about four years ago. They came direct out of the yards of Marvin's and he also has vey nice white Rock strain. These birds are breed by Marvin in Arizona and he got them from Glen Holgelson a old breeder from Arizona who had them at least 20 years. So they have been breed line breed that is for about 50 years. The sources tell me they came from Ralph Sturgeon. This tail if you seen some of the old E B Thompson line pictures from the 1920s has that look. So one of the best finished tails I have seen in the last three years. I hope one day the Frank Reese Males that Jeremy has in Nebraska will have tails like these. This would be a good line to get and my partner in White Plymouth Rocks Mr. Weaver in Tenn has this line as well.

Yes I was writing about you and your idea about four different lines and the broodiness factor. If you want barred Rocks to look like this guy broodiness breeding pressure will put you in the reverse gear. Its ok to have a hen go broody such as these dual purpose breeds will do and they will some times in the South when it gets real hot not much you can do about it. I had a white rock hen my best I ever raised who lived 8 years who layed like a machine go broody thee times. I just put call duck eggs under her and she was the best incubator to hatch them I ever had.

Quote:
Mr. Bob, that would be invaluable to me, this was just a back yard project I played around with because I was keeping chickens anyway, mainly for egg production and they kept myself and the dogs and friends and family supplied with eggs. On the internet I found an article on the Hogan method that was printed articles that had been scanned in and it was somewhat difficult for me to read, I appreciate all the help you and others here are giving me!

Thanks for the pictures of this male. Does he have females to be breed to him? bob

I just read he is dead. God what a shame. Please keep this picture and try to breed and raisie some to look like him. He is one of the best barred rocks to live in the last ten years.

Last edited:
IF YOU HAVE REXS DAUGHER SHE IS THE ONE YOU WANT TO PUT BREEDING PRESSURE ON TO LOCATE HIS GENES. MATE MAYBE HIS HALF SONS TO THE FEMALE MAYVBE SPIT THE SEASON UP AND MATE HALF WITH ONE MALE AND HALF WITH THE OTHER MAYBE IN TWO TO THREE YEARS HE WILL SHOW UP AGAIN WITH A TAIL LIKE THIS.

ALSO YOU MAY WANT TO GET SOME EGGS FROM ARIZONA OR SOME CHICKS FROM tENN FROM MR. WEAVER AND TRY SOME OF THESE BIRDS. I BET IF WE ALL FLUE DOWN TO ARIZONA WE COULD FIND A MALE OR TWO WITH A TAIL LIKE THIS IN NROMANS YARD.
HERE IS A THOUGHT. IN SOUTH CAROLOINA WHY NOT GET SOME OF THESE BARED ROCKS FROM ARIZONA FROM NORMAN AND SOME FROM JAMIE DUCKWORTH AND JUST RAISE THEM AND SEE HOW THE DO. YOU DONT HAVE TO CROSS THEM BUT SEE WHICH LINE DOES BETTER IN YOUR YARD. WE HAVE A FELLOW NAMED JIMMIE IN PENN WHO HAS LIKE FOUR STRAINS OF R I RED LARGE FOWL. HE JUST STUDIES THEM BREEDS THEM SEPERATLY AND THEN ONE DAY HE WILL DECICDE WHICH LINE HE WILL GO WITH ON HIS FARM.

CROSSING THESE TO STRAINS WOULD MAKE A GENTIC MESS AS ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE THEY HAVE CLASED AND ONE LINE JAMIE HAS HAD WHITE ROCK BLOOD IN THEM ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO TO IMPROVE THE TAILS SO YOU GOT TO WATCH OUT FOR THAT ROAD BLOCK.

WHEN YOU GET STRAINS OF THIS QUALITY WHICH ARE ABOUT THE OP FIVE STAINS IN THE USA YOU DO NOT NEED TO CROOSS THEM TO SEE IF YOU CAN HIT THE LOTTERY. THE SECRET IS TO TAKE OVER FROM ALL THE WORK THESE BREEDERS HAVE DONE FOR MANY YEARS AND JUST MAINTAIN WHAT THEY BUILT AND NOT GO BACKWARDS. YOU CAN IMPROVE THESE BIRDS TO LAY BETTER BY SELECTING CHICKS THAT FEAHER FASTER IN THE BROODER BOX THAT IS SELECT CHICKS THAT SHOOT THIER TAIL FEATHEOUT BEFOR THE OTHER CHICKS DO ON THE DAY THEY HATCH BREED FROM THEM OVER A FIVE YEAR PERIOD AND IN FIVE YEARS YOU MAY HAVE BARRED ROCKS THAT MATURE FASTER LAY MORE EGGS AND HAVE GOOD TAILS. I DONT KNOW IF IT WILL WORK IT DID ON MY WHITE ROCKS BUT BARRED ROCKS HAVE THE BARRED GENE AND TO THIS DAY WE CAN NOT FIGURE OUT WHY IT SLOWS DOWN THE BIRDS DEVELOPEMNT. WOULD BE A GOOD SCINECE PROJECT TO TRY I CAN HELP YOU ON HOW I DID IT. THAT IS WHAT I AM GONG TO DO ON MY RED BANTAMS THIS YEAR. SELECT CHICKS THAT FEATHER FASTER THAN OTHERS THEN USE THEM AS BREEDERS EACH YEAR FOR FIVE YEARS. I AM TRYING TO PULL TO GENES OUT OF THE LARGE FOWL THAT I USED TO MAKE THEM 25 YEARS AGO. LOTS OF WORK, LOTS OF TOE PUNCHNG AND WING BANDING AND RECORD KEEPING BUT THAT IS WHAT BREEDERS DO. GOT TOGO TO WORK. LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR POSTS. SORRY FOR THE BIG LETTERS. DID NOT SEE THIS ON MY SCREEN TILL I GOT HALF WAY DOWN THE MESSAGE. WILL WORK ON JAMIE DUCKWORTH PHONE NUMBER TONIGHT. BOB

my buff plymouth chirpy! :)
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom