Plymouth Rock thread!

are you concerned about the amount of red on them? I ask because I also have silver penciled wyandottes and I KNOW they were recently crossed with partridge and when I get chicks that color I know they are going to have gold/red leakage. I know with the SPW the more silver and black at hatch the better the color will be. I work with the pullets but the roos CANT have any red or cream..if they do I get partridge chicks I don't want.

Well in my opinion I think the reason why the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks show the rich chestnut spot on the top of their head and down the center of their back is because of the ebeb (brown) gene the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks carry.

Here is the deception of the Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chick pattern out of a older APA Standard. As you can see below by the Standard the chicks should have the rich chestnut markings on the head and back. So it would concern me more if they lack the color given by the Standard.
IMG_20130420_074544-1_zpsf8875ea5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ALL for the replies. So Jeff, the partridge rock does carry mahogany? Take a look at this and tell me what you think.

"I don not have any partridge rock but have some silver penciled, so I may very well be wrong on whether they carry Mahogany, but to my recollection they are more brown than red correct." - post #1012 of 'The Rhodebar Thread' page - 102. (sorry don't know how to link?)
Heres the rundown of the genotype for the partridge male:

zwart getekend goud patrijs
black patterned gold duckwing
e+e+ co+co+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ mh+mh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+b+ s+s+ Choc+Choc+

7th set is non Mahogany
smile.png

The red enhancer is s+ (gold)

My mistake coffee level was low when posting this morning ('bout as good of a excuse I could muster up) LOL
Jeff

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed is the Danny Padgett chicks look to be lighter in color than the Dick Horstman chicks at day old.

IMG_20130920_100330_zps6f897746.jpg

Danny Padgett / Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks

IMG_20130421_104150-1_zps71c37a51.jpg

Dick Horstman / Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks.

Heres the rundown of the genotype for the partridge male:

zwart getekend goud patrijs
black patterned gold duckwing
e+e+ co+co+ db+db+ pg+pg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ mh+mh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+b+ s+s+ Choc+Choc+

7th set mh+ is mahogany
smile.png

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I started trying to look it up and decided I was too tired, lol. Thanks for the information!

ETA - wait, I thought the + signs meant it was lacking?? Sorry, I'm a novice at genetics

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed is the Danny Padgett chicks look to be lighter in color than the Dick Horstman chicks at day old.

IMG_20130920_100330_zps6f897746.jpg

Danny Padgett / Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks

IMG_20130421_104150-1_zps71c37a51.jpg

Dick Horstman / Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks.

Really cool that you made the distinction... and have photos to compare.
Both sets of 'chipmunk" marked chicks are precious.
I am enjoying your developing story. thumbs up!!

Really cool that you made the distinction... and have photos to compare.
Both sets of 'chipmunk" marked chicks are precious.
I am enjoying your developing story. thumbs up!!

Thank you, Cindy and I look forward to comparing the two lines week by week. I have weekly pictures of my Horstman line that I will compare to my Padgett line to see how they differ from week to week as the Padgett line grows out. Well the incubator is done with the last chick needing a little help getting out of its egg this morning. So I ended up with 11 chicks and that is not bad considering I was only charged for 12 eggs. I am very happy. :)

IMG_20130920_134749_zps01ba2589.jpg

Back
Top Bottom