Plymouth Rock thread!

Looking at my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock pullets today I noticed their tails are starting to come back in. They do have a cushions problem but as the tail completely fills out I think the bunny tail look will be greatly reduced.

IMG_20131005_175218_zps6af3aff3.jpg

IMG_20131005_173914_zpsd56709ff.jpg

IMG_20131005_173839_zpsa5a696b9.jpg

IMG_20131005_173527_zpsf685ebcb.jpg

Cyn, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd love to rehome every nice rooster that doesn't fit into my flock (ie for breeding), but no one will take them it seems.

I'd rather it be me eating them than someone else. That was my point. I'd give them away if someone would have them, but even at the sale I was having a tough time just giving them away. :/

PS: my Cornish X aren't Frankenchickens. I feel like their advocate lately. Mine free range. I am raising two girls to adulthood to just SEE what they put out for offspring when bred to a Rock. Strict feeding regimes and free ranging is required for these birds to not become severely overweight. Everyone just puts food in front of them and expects them to range.. but they are highly food motivated. Like 100X for your chicken who has an obsession for mealworms. They just love to eat, so you remove the food source and they go hunting (and I mean REALLY hunting!) for nature's food.

Because of my strict feeding practices with the hybrid (CX) they are quite a bit smaller than ones that were fed freely, but they are by no means small. At 12 weeks my girls were between 5-6 pounds bagged. They ran around the farm from the time they were two weeks old.

0.jpg

I share this video a lot because I run into the misconception a lot that the CX are frankenchickens.

I used to believe it too.. I always free range, and didn't want to deal with a bird that could not do so. I did a lot of research. I just hated the long time it takes to cook a DP rooster. 8 hours in the slow-cooker or they are too tough for me. I decided to give them a try. I will always have a place for the CX here now that I see they can live up to my expectations.

I didn't have a single one die from heart attack.

0.jpg

The flock (with Henry our BMD). The CX are 12 weeks here.
clap.gif
AWESOME! Loved the video. It was wonderful to see the CX free ranging among the others. Thank you so much for that, aoxa.
thumbsup.gif

And I completely understand what you're saying about not being able to give them away at times. I've been there myself so I try my best not to hatch more than I can handle. It was tough when I sold 9 thirteen week old BR cockerels to a man for $2 each because they were getting too old for me to keep much longer, knowing full well he was going to eat them, but at that point, I had to be prepared to process them myself (which I was not at that time) or just let go. I try not to find myself in that position too many times so I rarely hatch in an incubator these days, only a few here and there to pacify the broodies when they insist on sitting.

I had to take a break from my work to rest my back and saw your wonderful video. Thanks for the great entertainment!

Last edited:
clap.gif
AWESOME! Loved the video. It was wonderful to see the CX free ranging among the others. Thank you so much for that, aoxa.
thumbsup.gif

And I completely understand what you're saying about not being able to give them away at times. I've been there myself so I try my best not to hatch more than I can handle. It was tough when I sold 9 thirteen week old BR cockerels to a man for $2 each because they were getting too old for me to keep much longer, knowing full well he was going to eat them, but at that point, I had to be prepared to process them myself (which I was not at that time) or just let go. I try not to find myself in that position too many times so I rarely hatch in an incubator these days, only a few here and there to pacify the broodies when they insist on sitting.

I had to take a break from my work to rest my back and saw your wonderful video. Thanks for the great entertainment!

This is why it's easier to just sell them as chicks - straight run. I'll be doing a lot of that next year. I'll keep my very best breeding birds and hatch for me to grow out out of them.

Thanks for looking :) The younger group I have has just been let out today since our hawk has moved on. Finally.

Hi all

I'm finally getting around to posting new pics. I have been lurking in the background and enjoying the posts immensely.

Hens being let out of the secure pen this morning

Cockerels would like to be out too.

I have four 2013 pullets mixed in with the mature hens. Even got a few eggs from the pullets this week.

Note the two different types; some are definitely "cochin-like" - very fluffy and heavy set, while others are more upright.

I'll try to post a few more pics after church.

Bye for now.

PEI Chicken

Hi all

I'm finally getting around to posting new pics. I have been lurking in the background and enjoying the posts immensely.

Hens being let out of the secure pen this morning

Cockerels would like to be out too.

I have four 2013 pullets mixed in with the mature hens. Even got a few eggs from the pullets this week.

Note the two different types; some are definitely "cochin-like" - very fluffy and heavy set, while others are more upright.

I'll try to post a few more pics after church.

Bye for now.

PEI Chicken

Very nice Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks PEI chicken. I can't wait until my pullets completely fill out and mature into hens. I have work to do with my Horstman line pullets but I think my Padgett line will help me out a lot there.Love the pictures and hope to see more in the future. :)

Back
Top Bottom