Plymouth Rock thread!

Just wanted to poke my head in and say "hi!" I recently picked up four White Rock pullets and a cockerel from a local guy. I am fairly certain that they're Tractor Supply stock... regardless, they're only 7 months old so may fill out yet. I'm excited to learn a little about the standard and hopefully get to breeding come spring. This thread has already been very helpful. Hope I have some updates in a few months :)
What a great pic! Enjoy them!

stop feeding them scratch..... I only feed mine scratch when I want them to do something. I think it messes them up to alter their diet with with CANDY.

I had birds from Kathy and they were great layers.

I also have had Hatcher BR RIR EE AND Leghorn had issues except with one that laid very oddly snapped eggs and soft eggs with blood spots. I culled her. I have not really had many problems in that department......I also don't buy hatchery birds anymore.
smile.png

TNBEARCHICK I have a breeder age roo from my GSBR ROO. he might be just what you are looking for. my birds are good layers and huge birds for meat. I have 6 GIRLS and they are coming out of molt and I get usually 3-5 eggs a day. they are still getting back in the swing of things though.

Good garden o' peas! If I did that how'd I have fun hatching my own or watching a broody with her chicks ?

I think most folks feed scratch thinking it save money, but perhaps not if you've got fat hens. Fat hens do not lay, I've read.

I'll try your advice and see what happens.

Last edited:
I use Scratch because it helps keep my soaked feed the right consistency, not to save money. I don't have fat birds (well except a couple of CX that are overeating everything).

I have fed exactly what I am doing now for a year straight.. Actually it is year to the day. Happy anniversary to my Fermented Feed :p

Fermenting it saves far greater in terms of cost than the scratch does.

I lighten up the amount I add to the feed dependant on season. In the summer they get a lot more than in the winter. They get the majority of their nutrition from the land. Right now about 15 % of their entire grain diet is scratch grains (Barley, Wheat, Oats, Corn and BOSS).

Last edited:
Good garden o' peas! If I did that how'd I have fun hatching my own or watching a broody with her chicks ?

I think most folks feed scratch thinking it save money, but perhaps not if you've got fat hens. Fat hens do not lay, I've read.

I'll try your advice and see what happens.
A lot of folks feed scratch also too, because most of the feeds concocted now-a-days is over 50% soy bean products. If one would read on the the tag usually it says right off the bat Plant proteins= soy as the first ingredient mentioned. The first ingredient is usually the largest proportion of the ingredients in the sack. I feed the grains I use to offset this bulk amount of a not so desirable source of protein. Plus if you let the birds out to roam an pick up what they really desire to eat(supposed to) and get exercise then a ration of grains daily will generally work out to a most desirable ratio for a diet + too they burn off some of those calories scratching and working for their grub(yes take this as pun) too. They get fat standing at the gate with their heads run through the wire fencing awaiting the feeder to bring the next load of carbs and such to pile up on their fat reserves for hard times
roll.png
LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the info. I am looking for a good looking barred rock for eggs meat and sells for the same to my customers. With a focus more on eggs, not another project, just basic needs. The reason for barred rocks is they are very popular around here. I just want a little better quality.

Not all scratch is equal. I use an 11 grain game feed called Knockout for my scratch. It has 12% protein on its own and was what my late crippled rooster, Zane, who lived in his own cage, ate almost exclusively. So, if you feed corn alone or a 3 grain, you're feeding maybe 8% protein at best. Scratch grain mixes can be almost complete foods, like the gamecock conditioners. So, when I throw them out a few handfuls in the morning for the 24 birds in the main flock, that really doesn't crash their protein intake at all. Then, they usually get to free range for awhile as well and for now, there are still some greens growing.

Knockout costs $2 more than my layer pellets so of course, doesn't save any money whatsoever.

Last edited:
Not all scratch is equal. I use an 11 grain game feed called Knockout for my scratch. It has 12% protein on its own and was what my late crippled rooster, Zane, who lived in his own cage, ate almost exclusively. So, if you feed corn alone or a 3 grain, you're feeding maybe 8% protein at best. Scratch grain mixes can be almost complete foods, like the gamecock conditioners. So, when I throw them out a few handfuls in the morning for the 24 birds in the main flock, that really doesn't crash their protein intake at all. Then, they usually get to free range for awhile as well and for now, there are still some greens growing.

Knockout costs $2 more than my layer pellets so of course, doesn't save any money whatsoever.
My scratch has 10% protein. The BOSS does up it some - which I also add in to the bag of scratch.

I may just buy grains in their individual bags and avoid additional corn. Wheat, Oats, Barley and BOSS will be what I add to my starter for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom