Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
Green sheen is desirable for exhibition blacks and is more enhanced on those based on gold vs. silver. Gold-based blues have more problems with brassy/rusty color.

Blacks from blue strains have a flatter, duller black color, often with remnants of edging or "shadow lacing", and frequently have lighter undercolor than is desirable in exhibition blacks.

Quote: I'd sort of like to hear that one, too, having raised blacks from BBS lines in three different breeds, Orps, Ameraucanas and Rocks. If you look at a black Ameraucana, for instance, not knowing whether it came from two black parents who also had black parents, or a blue over a black parent, how on earth can you tell which line it came from?

ETA: I see we posted over each other. I have had blacks from blue breedings that had spectacular green sheen-have one black hen now whose green sheen can't be matched, IMO. I don't think that claim holds true down the line, I really don't. Could be in some cases, but overall, I can't see how it's an "always this way" case.

Last edited:
It depends how high one sets their standards. There are likely some excellent colored black birds produced from "blue" parents, but more than likely those "blues" were a far cry from a proper Blue Andalusian for color and lacing. They are even less likely to produce another blue colored that way.

Another problem arises when a breeder has worked with a line of birds for a couple generations and calls it a "strain". Master Breeders who have focused on perfecting black or blue for decades would never consider using a bird from a program selected for the other color.

I do love that green iridescence. Don't know the genetics of it (though I would like to). This cockerel glowed green nearly all over in the right light.

edited to add: disclosure -- not a Barred Rock, not heritage anything. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I posted a picture of the Fox we saved in our front yard and turned over to Animal Control if you want to see her. She was beautiful. Who knows how long she's been on my property. What does a Fox Den look like? I also found a very large mound of well constructed branches and even soda cans under my oak bushes on the hill. I can't figure out what might have been living there at one time. So well crafted like a woven basket and something can hide in it. My Hens like to lay up there in that dirt and bathe and have even layed eggs there. One even carried a ceramic egg I used in their coop..carried it all the way up the hill and put it there. Crazy, huh?

see the white egg, it's a ceramic easter egg...someone carried it all the way up the hill and put it in the dirt..LOL
This maybe a ridiculous question but.... how do they carry the eggs? Do they just roll them?

I do love that green iridescence. Don't know the genetics of it (though I would like to). This cockerel glowed green nearly all over in the right light.

edited to add: disclosure -- not a Barred Rock, not heritage anything. Sorry about that.
thats green sheen, iridescent would be the black with the purplish-maroon(like an oil film on water has) hue to it, a most undesirable feather color/condition. I've only heard it once being good on certain blacks in AGs most all other with black feathers folks will strive to get the green sheen feathers the most.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thank you! I let my 5 hens out today, after a week of worrying. I swear they had to hide 3 times...the final time I saw what looked like an eagle soaring just south of my property. I went outside 3 times to scare off whatever is stalking them. By dusk I was glad it was time for them to go in, wore me out being on the lookout all day...

that egg has a small hole in the bottom of it, I have no idea unless they stuck a bottom beak in the hole to carry it...got me?

I hope in Spring I can get some pencil neck? Is that what they are called? Those really tiny arrow shaped looking feathers? Who sells those in Calif?

Back
Top Bottom