Plymouth Rock thread!

Hey, lady - are you hatching off your SPR from Janet already?
Oh no, this is when they were just eggs! :) They haven't started laying yet.

by the looks of their faces, we still have a few weeks to wait at least. They are 27 weeks here. Two look exactly the same.. can't tell them apart.

I love the head on this one. Her legs are well spaced. It's the angling of her stepping.

This one.. I am not going to use her for breeding. Just eggs. The chest has a lot of white in it, and her size is much smaller than the other two girls.

Last edited:
I hatched some eggs off my Horstman line around a month ago and out of that hatch I have 3 backup cockerels off my keeper Horstman cockerel. I am not sure if I will use any of the 8 pullets out of that hatch as I would really like to move forward by only using eggs that come from hens. For that reason I have decided to hold off on hatching any more eggs until next November as at that time all of my pullets "Horstman line & Padgett line" will be hens and will be laying eggs far better for the hatching of healthy and good size chicks.

Clayton Grace "Silver Rock"

I hatched some eggs off my Horstman line around a month ago and out of that hatch I have 3 backup cockerels off my keeper Horstman cockerel. I am not sure if I will use any of the 8 pullets out of that hatch as I would really like to move forward by only using eggs that come from hens. For that reason I have decided to hold off on hatching any more eggs until next November as at that time all of my pullets "Horstman line & Padgett line" will be hens and will be laying eggs far better for the hatching of healthy and good size chicks.

Understood.

I'll hatch em for ya
tongue2.gif

What difference do you think it will make? If the pullets are already hatched - how would them being hatched from pullet eggs negatively impact them going forward.

Real question. I'd like to know your thought process :)

What difference do you think it will make? If the pullets are already hatched - how would them being hatched from pullet eggs negatively impact them going forward.

Real question. I'd like to know your thought process :)
It's a good question; I'd also wonder about the thinking behind keeping the cockerels...if the pullets aren't what you'd want to keep, why would the cockerels be keepers? Just curious. I usually wait a month after lay begins to hatch off pullets; by the time that first hatch is old enough to begin hard culling, I look at the parent stock at that same time & do a final cull then, based on the offspring. That's just how I do it.

Back
Top Bottom