Plymouth Rock thread!

WOOT!! I have my first SPPR egg as of yesterday! :D
clap.gif

Question: are the temperaments of your Rocks noticeably different from the other breeds you have? My BR pullet is remarkably calm, even serene, compared to most, well, all of my other breeds. She's not easily ruffled or frightened, and can be handled without fighting to get away or flapping. The Heritage RIRs are nearly as calm, more outgoing and higher on the dominance scale. The rest are mostly dingbats, i.e. noisy, pushy, pecky chickens.

My BR cockerel is another story. Total fraidy-cat and easily panicked, by people and other roosters. But pleasant when he's not scared out of his mind.

Last edited:
Question: are the temperaments of your Rocks noticeably different from the other breeds you have? My BR pullet is remarkably calm, even serene, compared to most, well, all of my other breeds. She's not easily ruffled or frightened, and can be handled without fighting to get away or flapping. The Heritage RIRs are nearly as calm, more outgoing and higher on the dominance scale. The rest are mostly dingbats, i.e. noisy, pushy, pecky chickens.

My BR cockerel is another story. Total fraidy-cat and easily panicked, by people and other roosters. But pleasant when he's not scared out of his mind.
Each breed I have kind of have their own personality. I have a few breeds that I have some from a hatchery and some from breeders. Even them ones that are the same breed, but a different source vary in personality. My rocks are very call birds. Mine aren't easily frightened as well and act as if they don't have a care in the world. I have some free layers I picked up awhile back, and I can walk through there pen and you bet there are birds flying all over the place. I can walk the through the Rocks pen and they don't even budge unless it is to follow me. I have a cockerel, that is the sweetest guy. He comes up to me to have his chest rubbed. Everyday when I feed and water in his pen, he gets to come and follow me around the barn watching for any feed I drop along the way. After I am finished he gets put back in his pen, which he is never very pleased about. While both the males and females and nice, I can easily say that my males are sweeter. Now I have a hatchery BR, he is a jerk. He has a pecking problem and attacks my legs, guess what is going to happen to him in spring. I have tried caging him and then letting him out. He only ever stays nice for e few days. Apparently he just needs to be injured again or something lol. When I first got his he almost ripped off a piece of his comb, and he was very sweet while I was taking care of him. But after he healed that wore away in about 2 weeks.

My Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks are very calm and gentle. The cockerels & pullets have never shown any aggression towards me. :)

Back
Top Bottom