Plymouth Rock thread!

I was moving birds the other day and had a look at my 6-8 week old Blue and Black Rocks. The blues are looking very good with edging/lacing. Legs are a little dark for my taste but it was a first cross. Back to their sire and hope for better leg color. I thought I had way more blacks than blues so I was very happy to find 5 blue pullets in that one pen. I have several other hatches that are younger and may still end up with more blacks.... but that will be fine too since I have a blue and black roo.

ON another note, I have been working on a project for a good while now. Today I saw the fruit from my labors. I now have Blue Partridge Rocks! Can't wait to see them feather in. My first cross was from a partridge roo x splash hens. Those pullets were put back with the partridge roo. I have several pullets from that cross. ALL have very different coloring.... one red breast, one is solid blue looking and everything in between. I kept only the BEST looking BLUE cockerels. I am using the biggest one now over my Horstman Pullets. Chicks look very good. I am going to take the blue partridge pullets back to my Horstman Cockerel and eventually just have a pen that produces blue and blacks.

Not a great picture but here is my blue partridge cockerel that sired all the chicks.

Three of our six SPR eggs in bator are continuing to form. I saw two of them move on candling a few days ago, the same day I realized that three were dead/stopped progressing and one was a real stinker! Two more days now, hoping for something my little one can show in November.
fl.gif
but they might not be old enough. Either way it will be our first chicks from the incubator so she is so happy. Just hoping we get at least two live ones. Will be posting pics if so.

The 15 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks that hatched out last weekend are still doing great and are very active. This coming weekend they will go to the outside brooder pen with the 4 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks that hatched out a few weeks ago. :)

IMG_20140514_135617_zpsdf198bd6.jpg

IMG_20140514_135655_zps192188f9.jpg

Those are gorgeous and healthy looking chicks! What a blessing!
love.gif

Getting ready to put some WR eggs in the incubator today in hopes of getting some chicks from my two remaining heirloom quality WRs. Already have 5 of the WR eggs under a Delaware broody but she is new and I wanted to double down on her efforts. I hope to be able to slip these chicks under her and along with any she may hatch so that I can at least use her for brooding the chicks.

My Partridge Rock arrived yesterday! She's the fastest sprinter, and the first to run to wiggling fingers. She's a feisty one.

2 days old:

And 3 days old...

Those are gorgeous and healthy looking chicks!  What a blessing!  :love

Getting ready to put some WR eggs in the incubator today in hopes of getting some chicks from my two remaining heirloom quality WRs.  Already have 5 of the WR eggs under a Delaware broody but she is new and I wanted to double down on her efforts.  I hope to be able to slip these chicks under her and along with any she may hatch so that I can at least use her for brooding the chicks. 

Thank you Beekissed, your White Plymouth Rocks look awesome and I look forward to seeing chicks from them. One of my pullets has been try to set so I have decided over the next week I will collect all the eggs I can and put them under her 7 to 10 days from today. :)

Back
Top Bottom