Plymouth Rock thread!

Quote:
Not if you want to shoot me...
fl.gif

Poultry By products meal???? I couldn't use that. I am leery of anything that says animal by products but ESPECIALLY POULTRY. I just don't like the idea of feeding chickens..... chickens. The feed I use has pork and the main protein. Mine is 22% protein too. The marigold is probably what is giving them the yellow legs.... I hate the smell of those flowers but might be a good idea to grow some for the chickens.
I am very happy with the feed and my birds are looking good. I have been doing pretty well at the shows, as I do show birds. I have been getting best of breed and reserve breed. Still haven't gotten Grand Champion but am working on it. My boys are developing nicely and I have a couple picked out that will hopefully be show quality for the shows this coming fall and winter.

I am done hatching for the year and for the most part I am happy with my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock hatches this year. I had four hatches this year "4 chicks in April, 15 chicks in May, 10 chicks in June & 23 chicks in July" for a total of 52 Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chicks to grow out and cull from. I feel very lucky as every chick I have hatched this year are all still doing great. :) Below are a few pictures of my chicks.

A picture I took last week of my April & May hatched chicks.

A picture I took last week of my June hatched chicks.

A picture I took this morning of my chicks that hatched yesterday.

Hi everyone! We love our Partridge Rock so much, we bought 2 more pullets out of the Rock bin. Got them home, and I notice they don't have yellow legs or beaks. What do you guys think - is this shoddy breeding or are they Marans? They're incredibly docile, similar in temperament to our PR. They both have blue eyes (right now, I know this will change). I'm hoping someone can look at the barring on the BR/CM and tell me what you think. The White has at least one feather with a black dusting, which indicates a hint of splash genetics; I'm not sure if that's a WR trait. The White also has a hint of buff in her wing and tail feathers - it could be dirt, but I gave her a bath and they're still a pale orangey-yellowy-creamy color. Both girls are 6-8 weeks old.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Update: 8 days later, their legs and beaks are SO MUCH more yellow. A little free ranging in the backyard, coupled with good feed (we use My Pet Chicken's organic chick starter) has definitely worked.

Back
Top Bottom