Plymouth Rock thread!

Yes I am going to. I work very late so I'm only at home in daylight hours on the weekend. My question was, are light BR always roosters?

Best photo I have at the moment

Light barred rocks are very often roosters. However, I believe there are both dark and light varieties of barred Plymouth Rocks...?
Somebody who is well-versed in this, please pick this up!
duc.gif

Light barred rocks are very often roosters. However, I believe there are both dark and light varieties of barred Plymouth Rocks...?
Somebody who is well-versed in this, please pick this up!
duc.gif
Yes, in Australia. Light and Dark are different varieties. This complicates things when showing photos to North Americans.

In North America, only the one variety.

For a brief period there were two varieties here as well as a result of all of the silly double mating. When the standards were changed to not require the same size bars on hens and roosters, there were essentially pullet and cockerel lines. Then everything got merged, and I believe a lot of the birds that were now of the "wrong color" were shipped to Britain as "AmRocks", a utility breed.

This little lady is 10-12 weeks old. Pretty positive she's a lady, based on comparison with her hatch mates and her leg size. However, her wattles are large, and her face, comb, and wattles are red - especially compared to the others of the same age in my mixed flock. Do you think I have an early layer? She's hatchery (masquerading as breeder...).

In any case, at what age should they have access to the nesting boxes?

Last edited:
I have 6 chickens this is my first time raising hens I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to train them to go into their run when I'm letting them free roam and what's a good height for the fence to keep them from jumping over it

I have 6 chickens this is my first time raising hens I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to train them to go into their run when I'm letting them free roam and what's a good height for the fence to keep them from jumping over it
Netting works as fencing- they can't see the top of it, so they don't attempt the jump. My betting around my planter boxes is 4' tall; I think I could have gotten away with 3'. It all depends on what the fence is for, and what breed(s) you have, which will tell you how high they can jump.
My girls respond to the "BROWN CUP," which is usually filled with mealworms and rolled oats. They met the brown cup when they were 2-3 weeks old, and it only took 3 or so uses for them to respond. Now I can get them to go anywhere the brown cup goes. Same goes for any treat that has a visual or audio cue associated with it.
At night, they will automatically return to their coop once they've learned that it's home.

I must have some dumb or smart, which ever way you look at, chickens because the netting doesn't work for me. They can't see and run into and rip it down and stuff. I can only use it to cover the top of something or a very short term temporary pen

Back
Top Bottom