Plymouth Rock thread!

Hen or Roo?

12 weeks.

No black wash down front of legs

Last edited:
Depends on their breeding. Some have some and then it fades away as they grow. Some have a lot and keep it as adults. Some never have any at all.

What would you do? Iv'e three C. Rock hens and they haven't laid in quite a while. About 3 yrs old. Only one has laid in a very long time that I know of. Only because she laid in front of the pop hole.

Anyhow should I dump them? Iv'e some young ones coming up but had hoped that these girls would still be laying when the new rooster was up to doing his business.

These girls are a great size and I'd like to keep their line.

How long do you let a hen go without laying before she's history?

I've got a couple of Frizzle hens who are 4 and 6 who haven't laid in years that just started back up again and laid a few eggs. Any thoughts as to whether these C. Rocks might lay again so I can hatch their eggs?

The seem healthy in every respect and other hens in the coop are laying, just not these three.

What would you do? Iv'e three C. Rock hens and they haven't laid in quite a while. About 3 yrs old. Only one has laid in a very long time that I know of. Only because she laid in front of the pop hole.

Anyhow should I dump them? Iv'e some young ones coming up but had hoped that these girls would still be laying when the new rooster was up to doing his business.

These girls are a great size and I'd like to keep their line.

How long do you let a hen go without laying before she's history?

I've got a couple of Frizzle hens who are 4 and 6 who haven't laid in years that just started back up again and laid a few eggs. Any thoughts as to whether these C. Rocks might lay again so I can hatch their eggs?

The seem healthy in every respect and other hens in the coop are laying, just not these three.

There is value to keeping the older girls around; they share knowledge and "culture" with the new ones coming up, and the fewer disruptions there are to the pecking order, the better. Every time a bird is added or removed, there is tension, so I would only remove if you're really limited in resources and can't add birds without culling.

Back
Top Bottom