Plymouth Rock thread!

Here on BYC, if someone calls their EE an Araucana, they normally get corrected by the purists pretty quickly, LOL. The true, heritage Rhode Island Red folks, like Robert Blosi, Chris09, NYReds, etc, are also pretty quick to point out that 99% of the stuff presented as RIR are a far cry from type, and are called hatchery RIR or production reds.

The truth is that the heritage Barred Rocks were preserved for over a century by a handful of faithful people. The lines have not been polluted and now, after 100 years, the hatchery BR and the heritage BR really are two different birds. The difference in coloration, barring, growth, development, feathering, body proportions, and the like is astounding. I'm utterly and completely amazed at how slow my new BR are developing. Their behaviors are even quite different, as in foraging and broodiness. The hatchery BR has surely been crossed and faster maturing and increased egg laying is the result. 100 years has done some amazing things to most of the old, American Standard Breeds.

Please, please bear in mind that I am a keeper of hatchery, yea verily, commercial hatchery birds and love them. But, my goodness. what a difference. One represents the breeding of the 21st century while the other is like being transported back in time to Little House on the Prairie, circa 1880.
I agree. I didn't think my Barred Rock chicks would ever feather out and I understand it takes much longer for them to start laying than the hatchery types. But, I think the wait is well worth it. I've described some of the hatchery types that I have as fast food chickens. They develop fast and lay quickly but the heritage breeds are like fine dining. It may take a little longer but well worth the wait and the money. I can't wait to show them off.

Some 11 week old Columbian Rocks.

Looking good!
thumbsup.gif

Quote: Wow thank you!!!!

You are welcome!

Quote:
Most hatchery birds are a "different" breed than exhibition types. We have Buff Orpingtons in bantam, hatchery and Exhibition. 3 distinct different types/breeds.

My love of Barred Rocks started with Ideal hatchery hens and hens hatched out of a friend's McMurray hens as well, a couple of those I still have and adore, and they are laying at 5 1/2 years old.

These are so much different in every way, notably, of course, their massive size, precise barring, and all that without losing the friendly personality I love in the breed. So far, mine are fine layers, just like my hatchery hens, though they are only just over a year old now, so time will tell on whether they continue laying as well as their hatchery counterparts.

I just recently posted a picture of Dru, but I took another one today, at 11 weeks, so I'll bore you with it. I'd take more of Wynette, Dottie and Ida, but apparently, my Delaware rooster got over his disdain for Barred Rock hens, at least the big boned ones, LOL.
lol.png
Ida and Wynette are wearing saddle protectors.

SpeckledHen

That is one gorgeous bird. I'm an awful photographer and don't presently have a good camera, but when the time comes, I hope to take a side by side photo of our very best hatchery BR standing beak to beak with one of the heritage BR. Perhaps people can then see the difference, but I don't know if even the camera can capture the full difference.

SpeckledHen

That is one gorgeous bird. I'm an awful photographer and don't presently have a good camera, but when the time comes, I hope to take a side by side photo of our very best hatchery BR standing beak to beak with one of the heritage BR. Perhaps people can then see the difference, but I don't know if even the camera can capture the full difference.

The differences should be evident even with a phone picture.

Walt

I started to say Tom Roebuck, but was not sure he still had any. We have a Buff Wyandotte Bantam male from Tom's line. Very nice quality!

Yep he has both LF and Bantams in the Buff PR and I am getting some
wee.gif
He said he will ship them next Tuesday! So while I thought I was not going to set anymore eggs for this year, I changed my plans just for these guys!!!

My love of Barred Rocks started with Ideal hatchery hens and hens hatched out of a friend's McMurray hens as well, a couple of those I still have and adore, and they are laying at 5 1/2 years old.

These are so much different in every way, notably, of course, their massive size, precise barring, and all that without losing the friendly personality I love in the breed. So far, mine are fine layers, just like my hatchery hens, though they are only just over a year old now, so time will tell on whether they continue laying as well as their hatchery counterparts.

I just recently posted a picture of Dru, but I took another one today, at 11 weeks, so I'll bore you with it. I'd take more of Wynette, Dottie and Ida, but apparently, my Delaware rooster got over his disdain for Barred Rock hens, at least the big boned ones, LOL.
lol.png
Ida and Wynette are wearing saddle protectors.

This is a silly question but, what is a saddle protector for? I feel like I should know this.. LOL

Back
Top Bottom