Plymouth Rock thread!

Hey guys, I just wanted to share some pictures of my cockerels I'm growing out this year. It's so hard to pick a keeper!

The 2 oldest boys.

And the younger boys, about 9 weeks old

Big daddy!

Updating pictures of my Dru, who will be 15 weeks this Saturday. She is a Marvin Stukel line BR pullet out of my Rex (now owned by a friend) and my hen, Dottie-that's her mother in the background, who is trying to get her condition back after being broody.
I lost track of this thread. For those who get barred rocks from feed stores ect this is a classic example of a good old fashion barred rock. The kind they had in the 1930s type very clean barring. The Marvin S. line is out of Arziona and is about a 50 year old still breed pure line. In regards to Buff Rocks I only know one guy who has good ones Named Roebuck he dont sell eggs or chicks but only adult birds. Other wise you just need to order from a feed store or the back of Mother Earth News to get seome of the commerical types.My White Rocks are about four month s old I only cull for combs on them the blade section other wise they got to go to adult hood befor they get the ax. bob

Could I ask if these rocks came from Georgia or a feed store? I will get back latter. bob

Bob,
They did come from Georgia.
I also have seven more from Georgia that are about seven weeks old.
I can see much work ahead with these birds. Only got one cockerel from the first hatch and one from the second hatch.
First cockerel to dark and is pretty lanky. Seven week old looking pretty good, he is a lot thicker and has a broad head. His color is also closer to correct.
My wife wants to take a trip to Atlanta late summer, so we may swing by and pick up another cockerel that is closer to type.
I have read over and over the article you have on your website pertaining to breeding the Columbian color.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Work on type first and color second. Fluffly looking feathers is the Brahma genes coming to the surface it has to go but don't Scarface good Plymouth rock type bird or good color s because of it. It can be corrected in three to five years.

Remember this is the classic cross of light Brahma onto white rock that has been done be for when this color pattern goes down the toilet. It is very hard to breed this color pattern but if the bantam guys can do it so can the large fowl guys just dont cross strains no need vigor is there with the cross and just try to improve what you have. The secret best rock bantam last year at Cross Roads was a Colombian female. It was I think Mike Michael's blood lines. He gave up his bantams because he is allergic to feathers. You got to do what he did he claimed the male has more influence for color and the female for type so all ways remember this. Have small matings of two family's and by means have and use the buddy system. You can go on for 50 years. I think this line or color will be easy er to improve than Silver Pencil led or Partridge. Got a email today where can I find Black Rock Large Fowl. Never saw one and did not know there was any.

Why do people ask me for these colors?

Is it because they see these paintings in these catalogs and they think they are so pretty? bob

Work on type first and color second. Fluffly looking feathers is the Brahma genes coming to the surface it has to go but don't Scarface good Plymouth rock type bird or good color s because of it. It can be corrected in three to five years.

Remember this is the classic cross of light Brahma onto white rock that has been done be for when this color pattern goes down the toilet. It is very hard to breed this color pattern but if the bantam guys can do it so can the large fowl guys just dont cross strains no need vigor is there with the cross and just try to improve what you have. The secret best rock bantam last year at Cross Roads was a Colombian female. It was I think Mike Michael's blood lines. He gave up his bantams because he is allergic to feathers. You got to do what he did he claimed the male has more influence for color and the female for type so all ways remember this. Have small matings of two family's and by means have and use the buddy system. You can go on for 50 years. I think this line or color will be easy er to improve than Silver Pencil led or Partridge. Got a email today where can I find Black Rock Large Fowl. Never saw one and did not know there was any.

Why do people ask me for these colors?

Is it because they see these paintings in these catalogs and they think they are so pretty? bob

Just curious. How would you recreate a Black Plymouth Rock, if someone really wanted them. Cross a White Plymouth Rock to an Australorp or an Orpington?

Ive got about 2 dozen black rock hens and pullets. The youngsters have much better yellow legs, more yellow on their shanks, not just the bottom of their feet.

Back
Top Bottom