Plymouth Rock thread!

halo you got the head start. Now I can ask this lady when she writes me back where she lives. I think she is from Mo.

Is the black rock in the apa standard? If you breed a good white rock female to a good black male you may get some good blacks with yellow legs and have great type.

Its worth looking into for those who want to make a new breed. bob

halo you got the head start. Now I can ask this lady when she writes me back where she lives. I think she is from Mo.

Is the black rock in the apa standard? If you breed a good white rock female to a good black male you may get some good blacks with yellow legs and have great type.

Its worth looking into for those who want to make a new breed. bob
Blue Plymouth Rocks were entered in the SOP in 1920. Black is not an accepted color. However, Black and Splash would be a byproduct of the Blue. Curious why the Black never made it in the SOP.

Black isn't accepted into the APA? That makes no sense, I've shown my Bantam Black Rocks at many shows. If the Bantam variety is accepted, it would make sense that the LF variety is accepted.

I get to stay home and play tomorrow, Ill get some pictures this weekend.

Im growing out some barred rock pullets that I hatched from Cyn's Rex eggs. Im certainly going to hatch barred rocks from them, but since my barred boy will likely mature slower than than girls, since he is younger, I may put those girls with my blue rock rooster for a little bit to hatch some blue and black girls, hopefully to improve size and type. I do like the blacks I have now, but they are on the smaller size, and these barred rock pullets, even tho they are only barely 5 months old, are bigger than all my bbs rocks. So I think it will be a terrific addition to my BBS. Also hoping using the barreds will tighten the feathers up a bit. Some of these blacks end up a bit fluffy...probably the orp influence continuing on.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have kept the black chicks (F2s) with yellow legs from my project. I thought about that. Plymouth Rocks should have yellow legs.

Black Orps and Australorps have black legs.
Yes but the only thing wrong with this picture, would be type. The NH influence in the mix would certainly mess with the Rock type, remember how the Dels are more typed like a New Hampshire than BR. This too would also be the case with using Orpington or Black Australorp too. There would be a lot of time instilled into getting back to rock type than it is worth trying to do the cross Jim. I think the way halo is aproaching it and I think her partner in crime tigercreek with using the BluexBRs is the best way to get them black established, what ya'll say?

Jeff

Sounds like a better plan.
I get to stay home and play tomorrow, Ill get some pictures this weekend.

Im growing out some barred rock pullets that I hatched from Cyn's Rex eggs. Im certainly going to hatch barred rocks from them, but since my barred boy will likely mature slower than than girls, since he is younger, I may put those girls with my blue rock rooster for a little bit to hatch some blue and black girls, hopefully to improve size and type. I do like the blacks I have now, but they are on the smaller size, and these barred rock pullets, even tho they are only barely 5 months old, are bigger than all my bbs rocks. So I think it will be a terrific addition to my BBS. Also hoping using the barreds will tighten the feathers up a bit. Some of these blacks end up a bit fluffy...probably the orp influence continuing on.

We have 8 Rockies but have found that they are quite slow growing. Has anyone else found this?

They are about 15 weeks old and are about to be overtaken in size by out 11 week old Australorps and Rhode Island Reds, except for 1 of he girl rcokies who is a decent size....

Where did you get your Rocks from? Different strains grow faster or slower. If your rhode island reds are Cherry Egger type light in color they feather faster than most Plymouth Rocks ever dreamed of feathering. Something about the barring makes Bar reds of all strains feather slower. They normally catch up latter and are fully feathered. Many people give up Bar reds because of the slow feathering trait. I had a friend who had Barred Rock Bantams for 8 years. The better or clearer the barring the slower they took to feather out com paired to his White Rock Bantams so he gave them up.

Hey guys,

I've got some cockerels and needing some reassurance in choosing the pure bred Rock. We were marking two splash Rocks with food coloring on necks to distinguish them from the mixed splash Orpington. Well, once outside the marking regiment slowed down and so now there are 3 splash of which I was sure of one being Rock. The green food coloring would turn yellowish as it aged and they molted. As I look at them I notice that there are random yellowish areas to the white naturally as they are still young. It throws doubt at the Rocks identity. Also the one I was once sure of is slightly larger than the others so that throws more doubt. He's the start of spectacular splash markings so my desire to keep that one may have clouded the thought he was Rock too.

When comparing full grown birds the Rocks would be unmistakable but as 10 week old's I'm in need of some pointers to aid in correctly choosing the pure breed. The Orpington mix have yellow legs so the obvious trait is unusable. They are a product of a pure blue Orp female, big fluff and white skin, and a Blue Orp rooster of mixed origin, good type but yellow legs. We need to start thinning out the cockerels but I could keep the three splash until I was sure. Just don't want to keep all three over over winter.

Back
Top Bottom