Plymouth Rocks

linkindna

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Everett, WA
I would like to try raising some Plymouth Rocks next spring and I've heard good things about white rocks as dual purpose birds that make some tasty dinners. My question is this: What is the difference between white rocks and barred rocks? Aren't they the same breed, just different colors? Do the white rocks grow any faster? Why haven't I heard anything about the meaty qualities of the barred rock?

White Rocks have white feathers and Barred Rocks have black feathers. They are the same breed just different different colors however that barred color does still show after you have plucked the bird. The pigment still discolors the skin of the bird. The American public is no longer used to having colored pigment on the skin of their poultry so that is why many people use White Rocks for broilers and not Barred Rocks. White Rocks do not grow any faster. I have actually processed Barred Rocks before and they dress out just fine but do have that discolored pigment.

White Rocks may even grow a bit slower. The Barred Rocks were the original and the White was a "sport" or a genetic mutation. Yes, the birds are both Plymouth Rocks as are the Buff Rocks, Partridge Rock, etc.

The advantage of the White Rock is the absence of dark pin feather when cleaning. The Barred Rocks have also been bred by the hatcheries to be quicker to develop and to be better layers. Most strains of BR have thus sacrificed some their true dual purpose features such as size.

I am going with some WR's this spring to start a small dp flock. I did some reseach and found WR's and Delaware's are being used frequently for dp. There are some threads in the meat bird sections with lots of good information. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom