Plywood Floor?

Quote:
I hate to sound rude and by no means am trying to be but what benefit would I recieve from adding plywood over the plywood I already have? Again not trying to be rude just not understanding...

Quote:
I have a small walk-in, with a (very strong) plywood floor. There is also an air vent near the top roof, which keeps humidity and moisture levels at a minimum. I buy the big bales of aspen wood shavings at Petsmart/Petco. I know alot of folks have linoleum floors. The way mine jump down from the roosts to the floor when I walk in, I'd be afraid of (bird) injury on a slippery surface. This might not be a concern depending on the size and breed of birds. When it's freezing or snowing and they don't get to go outside, I think the plywood gives them more of a "surface" to scratch than a smooth linoleum surface. JMHO

I used rodent pine shavings from a pet store for my brooder last year and I found that it absorbed the moisture well but smelled disgusting do you guys find this a problem?

Quote:
I hate to sound rude and by no means am trying to be but what benefit would I recieve from adding plywood over the plywood I already have? Again not trying to be rude just not understanding...

Not understanding and asking for clarification isn't rude. A single thickness of 1/2 plywood is insufficent to support your weight. The minimum floor thickness would be 3/4". Adding additional plywood at 90 degrees to the existing will make a much stronger floor. Also while 1/2 plywood may support you, over time it will start to sag between the floor joists.

The additional plywood would be for sturdiness. Picture your house floors with very thin wood on the floors, or thicker, more solid wood on the floors...
Most folks who use vinyl flooring in their coops put bedding down on top of that (I use 2-3 inches of it). The vinyl is primarily a moisture barrier under the bedding, but also makes clean up easier. Imagine a dog peeing on your carpet in the house, knowing it's soaking into the wood underneath. Now imagine a dog peeing on your kitchen floor, which I presume is either tile or vinyl. Which retains odors? Which is easier to clean? Does that help???

ETA: If you do put more plywood down, I'd consider using Liquid Nails in addition to screwing it down...help bond the sheets together...

Last edited:
Quote:

Not understanding and asking for clarification isn't rude. A single thickness of 1/2 plywood is insufficent to support your weight. The minimum floor thickness would be 3/4". Adding additional plywood at 90 degrees to the existing will make a much stronger floor. Also while 1/2 plywood may support you, over time it will start to sag between the floor joists.

Ohhhh i see i thought it was bedding related. I agree that would be a good idea. I don't have floor joists my plywood is sitting on raised cinder blocks and framed up from there. There are 3 rows of 3 under the 4x8 sheet with the gaps between 12 inches.

Haven't read through all the posts but I also have a plywood floor in my "chickie barn" and I tried covering all areas with hay. Although, it's pretty easy to remove and replace hay, I did have to go in with a shovel after a month and it was yucky! Now I just had Hubby pick up the cheapest little stick tile squares from HomeDepot(33cents each) and one box will easily do my whole barn!(plus the roosting areas) This is going to by much nicer to clean! I'm still using hay for bedding but having the slippery tiles underneath makes clean up a sinch! Blessings,Keri

I would buy some good grade tar paper(inexspensive) and put it on the floor , it insulates and is not slick(but easy to clean) . With shavings or straw you are set to go . The chickens can scratch on it like they can plywood .

If you have 2x4's on 16 inch centers under your 1/2 inch plywood(and of course blocks under that for your foundation) you will never have any prblems , 1/2 inch will be OK .
Shannon

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom