Plz help duckaholics!!!

percyj

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
Anyone out there who is willing to tell me any relavant notes on raising ducklings ??!!?!? Anything is gr8ly appreciated!!! We went to a farm and I saw some dead duckie babies and now I'm to scared to consider germtting some w/out guidance(u guys-lol!)
hide.gif
:fl

I have the book but it seemed more geared 2ward raising them 4 production and having larger amounts and breeding. I want 2 kno about stuff like wat supplies do they need, and smaller amounts cuz I only want 3? Also I live in the suburbs so no fancy ponds 4 me, a kiddi pool is just about it!
roll.png

Ducks are actually very simple to keep- but you can make things as complicated as you like. I have never owned a book on raising ducks - and know that they can all differ greatly- so which book do you believe?? I prefer to speak to other breeders either in person or online about issues, and have learned fropm their experience as well as my own over the last 25 years.

Basically- ducklings need food, water and heat in a clean environment. Once grown they need a predator proof living area- food and water. You can "puff things out a little " from those basic requirements.

Food - Ducklings needs are different from an adults- the type of food you give yours will most likely be determined by what brand you can buy locally. Some people do add suppliments to the diet- but in most cases if you buy a complete feed- you shouldnt need to suppliment.

Water - Ducks need water deep enough to get their head into to clean their nostrils and eyes- they can be messy. Ducks also like to swim- but dont need a pond. Even a container 1 x 2 foot by 1 foot deep in enough for them to have a wash in.

Warmth - ducklings require some heat when hatched- but depending on what age you get they may only need it for a short time or only at night. The tyype of brooder set up you will need will also depend on how old/ how many and what materials are available to you.

Housing - some ducks can fly and need to be kept in a pen with a roof- others may only need an area with low fences to be confined- The pen area will depend a bit on the breed of duck and how many you have.

The most important thing to know before getting a duckling is they are absolutley gorgeous- and you will soon want more after experiencing raising them for the first time
big_smile.png

We need to sticky a basic duckling care sheet on this forum.
tongue.png

The only advice I can add is BE WARNED.. they are addicting. I started with 3 and a year later have 21. The mess is worth it.
wink.png

Yup!!! I'm pretty sure I'm getting a magpie and Cayuga. I hope dad will tolerate one more. I was hoping to add a blue swede in a year after I get the first two! Lol my moms reading this w/ me and she just told me don't count your ducklings b4 they hatch, and I reply, ya... But hey, candling helps doesn't it?

Last edited:
We bout one duckling, the only one left at the store, 5 years ago. We went back a week later and bout 4 more. In the past five years we have raised WAY over 100. Right now I have 12 adults, 5 ducklings born yesterday, 4 teen muscovies, and two other nests being sat on. No matter how small you want to limit yourself, you WILL get more! LOL. Its just so addicting.

Back
Top Bottom