PLZ Help! What antibiotic do I use?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DragonOxeWeasel, Dec 14, 2013.

1. DragonOxeWeasel

DragonOxeWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    I have a hen that survived an attack that left her with a very broken wing that was barely attached. We amputated the wing but the surrounding area is already infected looking. What can I buy at a pet store for her?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm not sure what I would use, but I would clean it really well with something like betadine or chlorhexadine and keep her inside in a clean cage or crate.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You can try a general anti infectant such as LA200. the feed store should carry it. Also you can try penicillin. Either will work. I believe penicillin has a water soluble powder. It might be easiest for you. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You should be able to get Penicillin or Tylan at a livestock supply store. Either antibiotic would work.

5. DragonOxeWeasel

Sep 1, 2012
    Thank you i didn't realize I could buy penicillin at the farm store! I will get her some first thing in the morning! Any good threads on dosage? I can't seem to find much.

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    An injectable form of penicillin is Amoxicillin I think that the correct dosage is 0.25ml per 5 lbs of body weight injected under the skin. Most farmers Coops and livestock stores carry it. Check on the proper dosage because it is late and I am tired.

7. DragonOxeWeasel

Sep 1, 2012
    Tractor supply was out and Southern Sates was closed sunday so I went to whole foods and bought some colloidal silver. I have never experimented with it before but have been shocked by her improvement!

Though she is not out of the wood the infection is improving. Before the amputation her skin had turned green and looked like someone had injected water right under the skin. It is back to chicken pink and not swollen and the the wound from the amputation looks great. She is still eating and drinking, albeit a little less than normal. I'm hoping she will recover and can go live with my friend that has only a dozen hens in a very secure coop with a low roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by