PNW'ers, I need your advice!!!

I live in Vancouver, WA

The worst problem is coyotes. .... next raccoons, weasls.

My "Fort Knox" has metal sides 3ft up on the run. Solid roof, 1/2 welded wire for the remainder of the side. 2x12 buried on the perimeter. The door has a keyed latch and is made from 2x4's and inset so racoons can't get their hands in for a good grip.

The coop is raised, and regular house construction (2 x4, siding, roof, locking regular house door. vents are metal and screened with 1/2" welded wire.

I used to have a less predator proof run and lost almost all my birds in one night. Decided if I was going to keep chickens I would have to spend the time and money to give them a MUCH better home.

I haven't lost one since the improvements that set me back over $1000. ...but I figure I will probably always have chickens until I am old and senile.... Oh! actually I am already there!! anyway... good investment!!

I don't do much to prevent the mites. I keep the coop clean, and provide dry places for the banty cochin to chill out. She hates HATES the rain. I dust her & the coop every so often. That's about it.

I also live in Vancouver WA. we have all of the above pests. raccoons, opossums, mice, rats, Etc. but I would have to say the rain and dreary weather is one of the most bothersome "pests" we deal with. One of the best things we did was cover our run with a clear plastic roofing. It helped with the dark days and keeping the rain (that comes down not sideways
wink.png
out of the run) The next was adding a half a yard of sand to our run so it drains quickly.

Back
Top Bottom