Point and Shoot cameras - which do you like and why?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Pupsnpullets, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I am looking to get a nice point and shoot as a gift and am completely overwhelmed by the choices and options. Thought I'd throw it out to you guys. I've seen some awesome pictures posted and a lot of you are also very good photographers, so I know it's not always the camera quality [​IMG], but I'd love to hear what you think.

2. boaz

boaz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Woodville, MS
    You can easily get a 10 Megapixel digital camera in the $125 range. I have had better luck with Kodaks holding a battery charge than the last 2 Sonys, battery life is a big issue. With regards to features, nearly all of the major ones work great if you read the owner's manual a bit for the correct settings.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    A good friend of mine just bought another Kodak point and shoot; I dont know which one, it cost her around $99, and she gets pictures every bit as good, if not better, than my $500 Nikon. Its her second one, she used her first one til it croaked. And she had it a long time.

4. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I have an olypus point and shoot that takes pictures as good as my High dollar Pentax. Kodak makes pretty good cameras as well that run around 100-150 dollar range.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I call them PHD cameras- "Push Here Dummy" [​IMG] and I love my Canon Powershot SX100 IS. It was just under $200.00 and has been very reliable and durable when battered around. Easy to use and easy software that comes with it.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I bought a new camera a few months ago, mostly so I could post on BYC. Now I know nothing about digital cameras so I had to ask for advice. The oddest piece of advice was to get one with a viewfinder, not just a screen. I was told that it is difficult to use the screen in bright sunny light. I kind of discounted it, but the camera I choose had a viewfinder. That advice was so right, on sunny days it is hard to see the screen well.

Imp- It's a Canon. I've been pretty happy with it, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have been very happy and pleased with my Kodaks.

8. Lady_Cluck

Lady_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I love my Canon SD880 . I shopped around quite a bit before I bought it last October. The interface is easy and quick to navigate to snap that perfect shot, which is what sold me on the camera. (It also feels sturdy, which I also liked!) There are plenty of creative options to choose from if you simply want to pick a scene and point and shoot, but it also has a few manual functions to play with, too.

It might be a bit pricey as a gift (499), but out of all the point and shoot cameras I have owned and used so far, this one gets my vote!

Good luck in your camera search!! [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cannon Powershot... simple and easy. Great pics.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am a Canon gal too, so I will stick my vote in for the Canon. Mine is far more than a point and shoot, but it is a Canon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by