Point and Shoot cameras - which do you like and why?

Pupsnpullets

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal desert
I am looking to get a nice point and shoot as a gift and am completely overwhelmed by the choices and options. Thought I'd throw it out to you guys. I've seen some awesome pictures posted and a lot of you are also very good photographers, so I know it's not always the camera quality
wink.png
, but I'd love to hear what you think.

You can easily get a 10 Megapixel digital camera in the $125 range. I have had better luck with Kodaks holding a battery charge than the last 2 Sonys, battery life is a big issue. With regards to features, nearly all of the major ones work great if you read the owner's manual a bit for the correct settings.

A good friend of mine just bought another Kodak point and shoot; I dont know which one, it cost her around $99, and she gets pictures every bit as good, if not better, than my $500 Nikon. Its her second one, she used her first one til it croaked. And she had it a long time.

I have an olypus point and shoot that takes pictures as good as my High dollar Pentax. Kodak makes pretty good cameras as well that run around 100-150 dollar range.

I call them PHD cameras- "Push Here Dummy"
lau.gif
and I love my Canon Powershot SX100 IS. It was just under $200.00 and has been very reliable and durable when battered around. Easy to use and easy software that comes with it.

I bought a new camera a few months ago, mostly so I could post on BYC. Now I know nothing about digital cameras so I had to ask for advice. The oddest piece of advice was to get one with a viewfinder, not just a screen. I was told that it is difficult to use the screen in bright sunny light. I kind of discounted it, but the camera I choose had a viewfinder. That advice was so right, on sunny days it is hard to see the screen well.

Imp- It's a Canon. I've been pretty happy with it, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

I love my Canon SD880 . I shopped around quite a bit before I bought it last October. The interface is easy and quick to navigate to snap that perfect shot, which is what sold me on the camera. (It also feels sturdy, which I also liked!) There are plenty of creative options to choose from if you simply want to pick a scene and point and shoot, but it also has a few manual functions to play with, too.

It might be a bit pricey as a gift (499), but out of all the point and shoot cameras I have owned and used so far, this one gets my vote!

Good luck in your camera search!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom