Point of egg in the incubator UP or DOWN

wanted to know if it's ok to reverse orientation (point down) @14 days in incubator
Welcome to BYC.  The reason for the positioning of the egg is in regard to the location of the air cell within the egg - which is located at the round/wide end of the egg.
ETA - an alternative approach is to position the eggs on their side.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. INCUBATOR heating up now. WE have lavender auracanas and Chinese Silky. Chick's should be cute as. WHOLE school is watching. THANKS heaps!

You have no idea how many life's you just saved. Smh I was never told about that. I lost a hatch of 3 yesterday.

Okay, dumb question here. If we put the rounded end down for incubation, how to we turn them or do we just leave them? I tried leaving al natural first batch and turned them as required but lost a few that were not positioned correctly in their egg. Thanks for any input.

I changed to hatching in egg cartons this year as i heard great results from others. I move them into the cartons at lock down, pointy end down. I have about 30% of them pip at the bottom (pointy side) so have started doing a quick check on them after the first few hatch and move as needed. Does anyone know why this would be happening?

In regards to this, I'm a first time hatcher (haven't set any yet) but planning on just leaving the eggs laying on their sides (as nature would have it). Is there a reason for standing the eggs up on end? Better hatch rate or something?
When using an automatic turner you can't put the eggs on their side they sit upright in the automatic turner, so air sac up and pointy side down in the egg turner :)

Back
Top Bottom