Lady Cluckingham

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2018
Apologies if this the wrong forum.
Recently we bought some chickens (Buff, Wyndotte, Light Sussex and Hampshire) The Hampshire I question is the youngest and was pushed around a bit (she has been timid from the start) . My father picked up on the fact that her beak was quote long so we cut it back a few days ago. But for a while now she hasn't been eating/drinking very well hence causing her to be lethargic. Her condition has not improved, she isn't drinking or eating any different than before. I was wondering if it will take long before she picks up again, or if she may have almost forgotten (?) how to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve her intake?

It I very possible that she might just wither away if she continues this behaviour.

TIA

I would guess her beak is still sore. Have you tried wetting her feed to see if she will scoop it up? Is she drinking? If she won’t eat the wet feed, you might try taking baby bird formula and wetting it to a slurry consistency so she can drink it.

I would guess her beak is still sore. Have you tried wetting her feed to see if she will scoop it up? Is she drinking? If she won’t eat the wet feed, you might try taking baby bird formula and wetting it to a slurry consistency so she can drink it.
I hadn’t thought of that! I got some water down her with a seringe, but you may well be right. We are going to isolate her and dampen some food or fix her food with porridge consistency. I will keep that in mind over the next few days! Ty!

Apologies if this the wrong forum.
Recently we bought some chickens (Buff, Wyndotte, Light Sussex and Hampshire) The Hampshire I question is the youngest and was pushed around a bit (she has been timid from the start) . My father picked up on the fact that her beak was quote long so we cut it back a few days ago. But for a while now she hasn't been eating/drinking very well hence causing her to be lethargic. Her condition has not improved, she isn't drinking or eating any different than before. I was wondering if it will take long before she picks up again, or if she may have almost forgotten (?) how to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve her intake?
It I very possible that she might just wither away if she continues this behaviour.
TIA
I hadn’t thought of that! I got some water down her with a seringe, but you may well be right. We are going to isolate her and dampen some food or fix her food with porridge consistency. I will keep that in mind over the next few days! Ty!
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
How old is she?
What do you normally feed her?
How long have you had her?
What ages are the other chicks she is with?

Trimming the beak, it's possible that she is sore, but if she was not eating/drinking well before that, then something else is wrong.

Check her crop, what does that feel like?
If you are syringing food//water into her be careful that she doesn't choke. I would make her a wet mash of feed and encourage her to eat her normal food.

Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
How old is she?
What do you normally feed her?
How long have you had her?
What ages are the other chicks she is with?

Trimming the beak, it's possible that she is sore, but if she was not eating/drinking well before that, then something else is wrong.

Check her crop, what does that feel like?
If you are syringing food//water into her be careful that she doesn't choke. I would make her a wet mash of feed and encourage her to eat her normal food.
Thank you. Unfortunately she passed away over night. Never seen hens so desperate to leave the shed so early in the morning.

Thank you to all the suggestions. Sadly Wanda died over night, won’t be using that breeder again, will go back to the old one who moved away. The other hens are a bit scruffy as it was a back yard breeder. You live and learn I guess.

Back
Top Bottom