Pointers on saving my "miracle" chick please? Late day 22 on hatch...

Enjaytoo

Songster
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Tempe
In a nutshell (or eggshell)..I had received a batch of eggs that were scrambled....broken air cells, 5 were smashed etc etc.... Tried setting them in cartons for 48 hours then the turner... All but 3 remained clear...2 looked questionable but the 3rd was dark by the time LD approached. I set them (in the carton) and reached day 22 (today)....No pip whatsoever but the dark one was peeping for approx. 10 hours. I debated for hours on if I should intervene, "usually" I leave them and if they were not strong enough to hatch then...well, you know how that goes. But I SO WANT this little baby, so (shame on me) I raised the temp and humidity in the room and cracked a zip around the large end. Still peeping, but I didnt touch the membrane and kept it moistened, then wrapped in damp paper towel on and a small amount of paper towel on the membrane I exposed. Couldnt tell where his beak/head was.... Any thoughts or pointers on saving this little guy? He's back in the bator of course, I got a response peep just now but I'm just not sure if I should puncture/peel the membrane so he can breath, if I've already caused enough damage (is he doesnt make it of course I'll blame my intervention), or just leave him be until tomorrow... ugggh, its going to be long night I think...

At day 22, if he is peeping, he's already broken into the air cell... but that's not where you opened the egg??

you need to find the spot where he broke through the membrane or it will die.

Thanks for helping Mahonri, I am besides myself (all for a little chick...jeez
roll.png
) I "zipped" it around the large end....BUT, the eggs were damaged when they arrived, I checked the small end for any signs of pipping but nothing, could he have gotten turned around??? Should I zip the small end??? I so want this little guy...

...edited to say I found his beak! Opened a little more around his beak and wrapped again in damp towels...wait and see I guess..

Last edited:
I had a similiar situation, I couldn't just leave him alone, I saw that he was still alive so I began to peel the eggshell away being careful that no blood was visible as I peeled away. In some cases I did see blood, I moistend it with warm water and continue peeling away when the blood was not visible. after rescuing him out of the shell, I noticed that he was all turned and twisted so the really was no possible way for him to have come on his own. others may have felt I was intervening with nature, but hey this happens with human babies everyday, (c-sections) good luck and be brave either way you decide.
pop.gif
ps. 21 weeks later this week she laid her 1st egg

Update, still peeping this morning....removed more shell, membrane is still seeming to be stuck but I encountered blood (small amounts) when I tried to gently peel that away..wrapped in towels, just not sure what to do with this little guy..

I just went through this. I've learned since... If he's still in the shell and you've pipped the whole top for him, he may not be able to get out. The pipping muscle along the chicks back is activated by a build up of Carbon Dioxide in the air cell. After a pip, it builds back up until the twitching begins again caused by the build-up. The twitching is not voluntary. It is best not to assist unless the peeping stops and you've allowed the natural process to occur. Draw down is when the chick breaks into the air cell and begins the CO2 build up by breathing. From there it takes 24- 48 hours for the process to complete hatching.

Ok, He made it out of the membrane, his head/neck, torso and feet but still has some membrane/shell sticking to his rump area. Just laying there though, (PRAYING) that he is just exhausted and needs rest. Naval area seems bloody though, from what I can see through the window. I didnt want to keep opening the bator so at this point I was letting him rest (and again hoping/praying for him to make it) Still peeping in response.....

Back
Top Bottom