Pointy Tail Feathers ...

Yes! If the pointed feathers show up very young, they may still be pullets. True pointed hackle and saddle feathers are shiny and don't develop until 12-15 weeks old.

Whew! I know we're not in the clear yet, but that's somewhat of a relief. Our lil girl's (I hope I hope) is 8 weeks, standard chipmunk coloring, but with a blue rear-end and two pointed tail feathers. Still no redness in her comb and her feet don't look too big, so fingers crossed!

At 8 weeks, it's probably obvious to a trained eye. A photo from the side of the chick standing and one from the front showing the chest and comb ought to do it.

At 8 weeks, it's probably obvious to a trained eye. A photo from the side of the chick standing and one from the front showing the chest and comb ought to do it.
Ask and you shall receive! I've been stressin over this little nugget. We had a bout with cocci just about a day after we got her and after getting her back in good health it will be mighty difficult to let her go if she turns out to be a roo.
Meet Julep:

(this second one is the best I had easily available of her straight on).

Last edited:
Yep. I have an EE that had a pointy, arched tail and guaranteed pullet patterning. She's tailless now with her big juvie molt (she's 13 weeks, I believe) and I'd bet her new tail comes in blunt. I also have had a pullet that looked a whole lot like the OP's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom