Poison Control

Yes my dog got the D3 from rats dragging it out of this kind of trap. Again, don’t know how they managed but they sure did. No remedy for vitamin D3.
Yes, I only recently found this out from Animal Poison Control and my vets. But I also heard that, at least here in the U.S., the newer baits are more dangerous as they are made with vitamin D3 and there is no antidote. My dog could die from eating just one gram of the stuff.

We have used poison for rats here for years. Never had a problem with secondary poisoning. Nor have I ever seen dead or dying rats around here.

I wouldn’t say you sounded like the bad guy, and now that you have shared your experience, it lends credibility to your answer. So often, people just repeat things they’ve read, not knowing if it’s correct or not. (I used to do the same thing at first. I have learned that it’s more helpful to just share my experiences rather than repeat information that I really have no idea whether or not it’s accurate.)

OP, thank you for sharing - I plan on giving this information to DH and have him make a bait tube when he gets a chance.
My posts are also from experiences of many many years. I had my first flock around 50 years ago then went into the army where of course I couldn't have birds at that time. I have never had a problem either with secondary poisoning, nor have I ever seen dead or dying rats around here. Good luck...

Last edited:
My posts are also from experiences of many many years. I had my first flock around 50 years ago then went into the army where of course I couldn't have birds at that time. I have never had a problem either with secondary poisoning, nor have I ever seen dead or dying rats around here. Good luck...
Thank you for your service to our country, and for keeping me and my family safe.

I have, I know plenty of people who have used poison, my dog ate a poisoned animal once and we had to take her to the vet our selves, so that is may main concern. I don't want to be the bad guy, and I am sorry if I seemed like I was, I just have my opinions on poison. Sorry for the incoveince, and OP, your DIY bait station is a great idea!
Your opinion is just as valid as everyone else's and I seldom dismiss advice. But in the end i have to make my own decisions and hope I make the right choice.

I wish the moderators would post a sticky post with the #6 reply to this thread about chickens and rats.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-safe-rat-control.1360288/#post-22435213.

In it the hands down best advice on BYC on rodent control is given in an extremely complete and comprehensive manner.

The Rat 101 thread alone is gold. It covers the urban myths and old wives tales about baking soda, peppermint oil, and soda pop mixed with food. People chime in after trying the peppermint oil as an example and confirm it didn't do a thing.

Here is the complete post. Follow the links and save a ton of time and effort:

" To the OP (and others like them), if you will spend the time, everything you need to know about rats and how to get ride of them will be found in the links below......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-the-video-series.1337456/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-101.1283827/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-proof-feeder-review.1180514/#post-18610285

This last one is a review of a rat proof chicken feeder built and sold by a BYC member, who is a staunch advocate for the plan of getting rid of rats by starving them out. Remove all sources of feed and they will be forced to move on or starve to death. If you are firmly against the use of poison bait blocks......for whatever reason.......then this is one of the best actions you can take. Bulk food in metal trash cans.....chicken feed in metal rat proof feeders. Can't get to the feed and birds do not spill and waste feed that the rats can survive on. "

Howard E's process of sanitation, exclusion, and elimination (using trapping or bait) is absolutely the only way to eliminate a rat infestation and preventing one from ever happening. In that order because the first two processes make the bait on the trap or in the poison box ten times more effective.

That is a good idea Aart.

I would love to see this forum have added categories to gather the different issues. OTH it is interesting reading about other issues as you browse through. Perhaps it is like newspapers and magazines always breaking up stories and scattering the parts throughout the publication, to ensure all the ads are seen. Whatever the reason it must be working because this site is doing great.

Back
Top Bottom