Poison Hemlock and Ducks?

Kolie_

Hatching
Apr 4, 2021
California
Hey All,

I just got four 7 week old ducklings (Black Swedes/Magpie mix), this is the first time I've ever had ducks. I've always been aware of how poisonous water hemlock/ false carrot is to pretty much any living animal, and as obvious of an answer I am assuming to get, has anyone ever had any issues with their ducks eating the hemlock? or will they naturally be deterred by it? We have a ton growing on our property, everything is sprouting and beginning to bloom here in CA. So now i'm about ready to go weed as much as I can. The ducks are kept in their run for now as they acclimate, but I would like to let the free range soon.
Thanks for any input.

when there's plenty of other things to eat, they'll probably avoid it on their own. If they for instance were kept in a dirt run and the *only* green stuff they could reach through the wire was hemlock, they might go for it anyway despite not loving the taste or realizing it wasnt good for them.

I'm unaware about those specific plants. But my ducks usually eat only grass and dandelion greens. Except one of my ducks who was an adventurous eater. She gobbled up wild mushrooms and I even caught her ripping off and swallowing tansy ragwort!!! 😮

Back
Top Bottom