Poison ivy

k-ddid

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
We will be letting the chickens free range in the yard, soon. There is lots of poison ivy at the edge of the woods. First of all, will they try to eat it, and if they do, will it harm them? And this may sound crazy, but if they eat it, will the "poison" get into the eggs? I'm terribly allergic to poison ivy, so this came into my thoughts.

It has been posted before that chickens can and may eat poison ivy.
It won't harm them, but if the oils/sap gets on their feathers it may be spread, to your detriment.
lol.png

Imp- OK I find that amusing- can you tell I've never had poison ivy?

Thanks for the input. I have had poison ivy; twice bad enough to need injections. It's always in the back of my mind this time of year. The chickens aren't big on letting me pick them up, so that won't be much of a problem.

Poison ivy is the one plant that I don't have. I check the property weekly for it, and destroy it when found. The grandchildren are not to the age that they can recognize it reliably.

I doubt that the chickens eating it would be a problem for them. The oils being spread on the feathers may be a problem, as mentioned.

Chris

I have poison ivy thick in the area behind my workshop. Which I run poultry tractors over. My birds will graze it heavily along with the Virginia Creeper and Creeping Trumpet Vine it is mixed in with. Has never bothered them and it certainly doesn't affect their eggs. Now possibly handling the birds if they've been in a heavily infested area may transfer some of the ivy oils onto you, but it won't bother the chickens nor negatively affect their eggs.

I react to poison ivy myself so have to be sure I'm properly clothed when in that area. The birds don't mind.

I have poison ivy thick in the area behind my workshop. Which I run poultry tractors over. My birds will graze it heavily along with the Virginia Creeper and Creeping Trumpet Vine it is mixed in with. Has never bothered them and it certainly doesn't affect their eggs. Now possibly handling the birds if they've been in a heavily infested area may transfer some of the ivy oils onto you, but it won't bother the chickens nor negatively affect their eggs.

I react to poison ivy myself so have to be sure I'm properly clothed when in that area. The birds don't mind.
This is good to know. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom