Poisonous plants for ducks.

duck dynasty

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
My ducks wandered the yard and ate some of my Yew and Boxwood bushes. Shortly thereafter, they were all throwing up. I am assuming the bush or bushes were poisonous, The ducks are fine today.Does anyone know what other common plants are toxic to ducks?

Yew is EXTREMELY toxic, you're lucky your ducks are okay! It's been known to kill many a sheep and other livestock. Other common garden plants that can be deadly are oleander, castor bean, tomato and potato leaves/shoots, sweet pea, irises, and rhododendron. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, I'm sure if you google it you can get a more comprehensive list.

A good rule of thumb is to net your plants. Even the ones that aren't toxic will benefit from being protected from little duckies stripping them bare! :p

Just about everything in my yard is toxic to them I think..,. Including many weeds & invasive vines. Ivy, Iris, virgina creeper, bittersweet, wild onion, lilly of the valley, solomons seal, roses leaves,chives, rhubarb, Artemisia (woormwood), OMG the list goes on!!
It will depend of course, upon where you live and what grows there.

Just about everything in my yard is toxic to them I think..,. Including many weeds & invasive vines. Ivy, Iris, virgina creeper, bittersweet, wild onion, lilly of the valley, solomons seal, roses leaves,chives, rhubarb, Artemisia (woormwood),  OMG the list goes on!!
          It will depend of course, upon where you live and what grows there.  
th

Heliotrope is another severely toxic plant. It's a beautiful one though and I have 3 of them but I put them way up high so the ducks and dogs can't get to them. And my Rhody I have fenced off when it blooms because the blooms will fall off and the ducks eat them and then get sick and can die. In fact before I knew they were toxic I had a bearded dragon die from a Rhodedendron bloom that fell in his outside enclosure. I'd love to rip them out but my landlord won't let me. So now I just fence in the 2 bushes when they bloom. I've trimmed the foliage to be high enough the ducks can't reach the leaves.

If u want though, u can grow oregano, ducks and chickens love it, and they know exactly when to eat it because it an act as a natural antibiotic and a cleanser, so if u just plant some in a few pots in front of your coop u could have very healthy ducks

If u want though, u can grow oregano, ducks and chickens love it, and they know exactly when to eat it because it an act as a natural antibiotic and a cleanser, so if u just plant some in a few pots in front of your coop u could have very healthy ducks
They also love cilantro which is a natural detoxifier. Mine bicker over it :)

Back
Top Bottom