Poisonous Plants You Should Never Expose To Your Flock

I have seen some of these plants growing around our property (our chickens free range) but i have never seen a chicken eat them. Are the chickens smart enough to know which plants are toxic, or should i be concerned? I was thinking specifically of our ornamental irises, which we have had the whole time we have had chickens, but i have never seen them eat it.
edit: we also have lantana, but i have not seen the chickens bother it either
There's no way I can identify all the weeds that grow in the yard my chickens forage in. My hope is that they instinctively know what to avoid or that the toxic plants are bitter to their taste.
Chickens naturally avoid plants that aren’t good for them, so you’re good. 😊
Oh my goodness, I have been feeding my chickens and ducks tomatoes from the garden. (Not cooked.). Have I been poisoning my poor chickens? 😔
A few are okay, but it is best to not give them any.

There are literally thousands of buttercups on my property and they have never harmed my chickens. I think it has to be dried as an ingredient in hay to be a problem.

My chickens do not touch Rhododendrons at all. Not even the flowers. And they love flowers.

Hemlock meaning poison hemlock, the stinky weed with ferny foliage, right? I don't think the coniferous trees called hemlocks are a problem.

Thanks for the list!

I have seen some of these plants growing around our property (our chickens free range) but i have never seen a chicken eat them. Are the chickens smart enough to know which plants are toxic, or should i be concerned? I was thinking specifically of our ornamental irises, which we have had the whole time we have had chickens, but i have never seen them eat it.
edit: we also have lantana, but i have not seen the chickens bother it either
I think they’re smart enough to avoid what’s not good for them. I have lantana and a few other things my flock doesn’t bother. I think the key is having things they CAN munch to keep them busy.

Back
Top Bottom