Poisonus plants for ducks????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hunter0704, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Do you have any Activated charcoal? you may want to add a bit to their drinking water, just to be on the safe side. how much did they eat of it.?

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Songster

Aug 31, 2009
    Having had two ducks that were poisoned by wild deadly nightshade plants, I would recommend staying away from the plants in that family. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers are just a few.

3. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    I don't think they ate a lot. But I'm not sure. I will see if I have any charcoal

4. Miss Lydia

This isn't charcoal for the grill this is the kind you buy in the antacids section at the store.

5. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    I thought I had some charcoal around from prior experiences with my dogs. (they eat ANYTHING!) but I didn't. Ducks are looking good today, no diarrhea and eating, drinking, preening as normal. I checked the potato plants and it only looks like a couple leaves got munched on.

I will be picking up more charcoal today. With having 2 labs and 5 ducks I'm sure I'll need it again at some point. My one lab brought me a box turtle yesterday. [​IMG] It was unharmed and released back to the woods. It makes me wonder what else she does when I'm not looking.

6. Miss Lydia

[​IMG] Boy don't I know it I keep telling dh why do I spend a small fortune to feed my dogs so well when they will go out and eat anything. [​IMG] the nastier the better.

I'm so glad to hear the ducks are okay. I have had mine grab hold of a tomato leaf before with out harm but having the charcoal on hand is such a relief.

A box turtle? poor thing probably thought for sure it's life was over.

7. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    My daughter made a bed for the turtle in our garden. She put down an old throw rug and placed the turtle on it. As we went about our day working in the garden we saw the hinged part of the bottom shell crack open enough for it's nose to stick out and it watched us for a little bit. Then it opened up and headed off back to the woods.

I don't know how many times I tell my dogs to quit eating stuff they find laying around. :( GROSS!

8. Miss Lydia

I believe chicken poop is the most popular of treats here then duck and of course anything already dead laying out in the woods to eat or roll in. [​IMG]

9. Sfraker

Sfraker Songster

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    Believe it or not, my dogs sneak into the duck pen to eat the duck food! They don't eat the duck poo, but they will roll in the poo soup when I empty the pool. However rabbit poo is called coco puffs in our house. That's is a delicacy!

10. Miss Lydia

coco puffs? well i'm glad I don't like them because after comparing them to rabbit poo I don't think I'd feel the same about them. lol.....Mine love the duck food too. [​IMG] they can't get to the duck water when I empty the pools or mine would probably be in it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: