Polar Vortex Prep

Mine did okay in -33f with 50 mph winds … I had a few even come out of coop and roost in bushes next to coop if they can stay dry and out of wind they will make their own decisions
true.. and that's about how cold it will be. The winds won't be as bad, just about 35kph SW but today will be very windy getting up to 45KPH sw as well. My girls made it through crazy winter storms this year, but I kept them locked up for the worst winds. They still are outside a lot in the cold, they don't seem to mind they just alternate standing on one foot. I keep the run full of dry leaves etc so it's soft and not frozen. Do you think I should put a heating pad or a seed starting heat mat on their wall near the roost for the cold night and day tomorrow night? Tomorrow morning getting down to -20c and friday night will be -35c without the wind.

Something I have been thinking about is setting up a roost that allows the birds to form a cluster rather than a line. Then make so that feces produced falls free and clear of where the chickens have their feet.
you could form a square with the roosts, I bet they would all face inwards.

-30 in either C or F is cold. There's no getting over that. You'll note the song birds are silent in those temperatures. Walking to the car in the morning is an eerie ordeal as there is no sound except the loud crunch or your own footsteps echoing in your ears and feeling the burn of your lungs taking in that frigid air.

The good news is these sort of artic blasts don't last long. If they did we'd all be much more concerned with winter prep than we are. On these extreme cold days the birds don't leave the coop. They'll stay puffed up to conserve heat and energy until the day warms up. If the day stays colder than -15 F (-26 C) they may only get off the roost twice in the day to feed and drink. On these days I throw black oil sunflower into the coop and put a rubber bowl of water just inside the door. Do it again that afternoon. Get's them through the day and usually there aren't two days in a row of that sort of brutal cold. Even two days of them hunkering down isn't a major concern.

Looking at the forecast those extreme colds are only at night so not a big deal. -4 F (-20 C) is my coldest daytime high coming. Birds are fine with that. Overnight lows and wind chills don't mean much as birds are in the coop.

Last edited:
Looking at the forecast those extreme colds are only at night so not a big deal. -4 F is my coldest daytime high coming. Birds are fine with that. Overnight lows and wind chills don't mean much as birds are in the coop.
I'll definitely make sure they have a big snack tonight before bed (in the coop) and tomorrow morning as well. that way they can stay in there and eat if they want to. Our terrible colds will be starting tonight and going until saturday

No to the heating mat. Think DRY.

@Centrachid-I have roost # shape. I have mine almost kitty corner, which gives me room to easily walk in and get eggs. Mine do not roost in the same place each night, but they all face the same way, and they tend to be linear. Maybe one or two birds on the back cross bar.

No to the heating mat. Think DRY.

@Centrachid-I have roost # shape. I have mine almost kitty corner, which gives me room to easily walk in and get eggs. Mine do not roost in the same place each night, but they all face the same way, and they tend to be linear. Maybe one or two birds on the back cross bar.
I ended up not putting the heat mat in there. I'll just keep it for me I suppose. I added a ton of bedding, covered up any low areas that could be windy and gave them a dish of food before bed. I'll be up early to feed them and maybe pop a hot water bottle in there so they can snuggle it but I imagine they'll go out in the run as they have all winter (got good wind break)

Back
Top Bottom