Pole beans for shady side of house?

Thanks. I have grown bush beans with some success, but don't have much experience with pole beans. Also, the peas I planted out in the garden - in full sun - did not produce. So I'll look for peas with nice flowers. That should make Dear Wife happy.

Is there any reason I could not plant both beans and peas in the same area, like put down a pea seed, then a bean seed, then a pea seed, etc... along the trellis line?

Beans grow faster than peas so they might take over the trellis before the peas get established enough; so if you want to do it that way, I'd plant the peas first and let them get a few feet high before planting the beans.

Also, have you heard of runner beans? They're basically a pole type bean, but they can have lovely flowers as well. I think the scarlet one is pretty easy to find.

Beans grow faster than peas so they might take over the trellis before the peas get established enough; so if you want to do it that way, I'd plant the peas first and let them get a few feet high before planting the beans.

Also, have you heard of runner beans? They're basically a pole type bean, but they can have lovely flowers as well. I think the scarlet one is pretty easy to find.

Thanks for the response. This is why I ask questions. If I plant peas and beans together, I'll do as you suggest and stagger the planting times.

I have not heard of runner beans. So, it's on my list to check out those seeds when I go to town. Thanks.

For a flowering shade vine, I have perennial variegated vinca,
1620845946366.png

I searched "Seed Savers" site using "partial shade" as the search term. It came up with Arugula and Swiss Chard.

I agree that peas might do ok. I'b be concerned with the fact that the sun doesn't hit the area until 3pm, so during longest days, they get up to 6 hours of sun. If wet/rainy, their leaves won't get dried out

That is an excellent idea. I tried Scarlet Runner Beans in heat and sun and they were pretty much a failure. But Scarlet Runner Beans are really popular in England. Think English Climate! I don't know how well they would do in shade but gtaus's climate should be great for them. I don't know about shade.

@gtaus there are several bean experts on the Sister Gardening site that are very active on this linked thread, including a few up in your neck of the woods. I mean some of those folks are experts. You might post a question on there as to what pole beans to plant in shade or if it is even a good idea.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threa...ean-lovers-come-discover-something-new.23813/

That is an excellent idea. I tried Scarlet Runner Beans in heat and sun and they were pretty much a failure. But Scarlet Runner Beans are really popular in England. Think English Climate! I don't know how well they would do in shade but gtaus's climate should be great for them. I don't know about shade.

@gtaus there are several bean experts on the Sister Gardening site that are very active on this linked thread, including a few up in your neck of the woods. I mean some of those folks are experts. You might post a question on there as to what pole beans to plant in shade or if it is even a good idea.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/threa...ean-lovers-come-discover-something-new.23813/

I have some in partial shade right now, and they are rocking out. Growing faster than all the other legumes I've planted (haven't planted my other beans yet though...gonna do that tomorrow.

there are several bean experts on the Sister Gardening site that are very active on this linked thread, including a few up in your neck of the woods. I mean some of those folks are experts. You might post a question on there as to what pole beans to plant in shade or if it is even a good idea.

I'll check out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom