Polish breeders....What happens when you cross a...?

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
I'm curious about breeding Polish. What happens when you cross a splash with a white, white crested black or buff laced or golden laced?!

Does anyone have pictures of a mixed color Polish? I know someone with a splash roo and I'm wondering what she would end up with if he was bred with other colors. Thanks!

Anybody?
tongue.png
I've googled myself into a frenzy and can find nothing...nothing at all.
hmm.png

I want to know too!

I have a splash Polish rooster and I'm going to get 2 more Polish chicks (hopefully pullets) this weekend. Not sure what colors she has for sale, but does anyone have any idea what happens when you mix something like a buff laced with a splash, or a wc black with a splash?

Or what would happen if I mixed my Crevecoeur pullet with my splash Polish roo? Would I get blue Crevecoeur mixes?

This question is far more complicated than it seems.

The easy one is splash x WCB= all blue, with varying degrees of white in crest. Some will have more, some less.

The other easy part is, since the rooster is splash, ALL offspring will be blue or or some kind of "blue and X"

Splash x white.. this is impossible one to answer. White is not a color, it simply hides whatever genes the bird has for color or pattern. You will simply have to wait and be surprised by this one.

Splash x buff laced, probably nearly all white or off-white with blue flecking. Probably show some buff leaking on body.. especially on roosters.

Splash x gold laced= probably very leaky blue with gold on hackles, breast

Your splash birds are probably technically white crested splash (solid blue is quite rare in Polish, I'm guessing your splash birds most likely came from white crested blue/black/splash breedings). So, like Kev pointed out, the rules for breeding blues/blacks/splashes apply here--you can breed the splash to a wc black and you will get 100% wc blue. Resulting offspring could end up with a lot of color in the crest, but that's just because it's a common fault in the breed. They're still gonna be white crested birds.

The other colors, I have no clue! Surprise party-colored birds, that's what you're gonna get...
lol.png
If you care about breeding birds of colors that are accepted in the APA standard, stick to your splash/black breedings. If you're just looking for some interesting colors, well, you could have some fun with those other crosses!
smile.png

I would just be doing it for the fun and excitement! lol

Here is a picture of my splash, he came from Ideal. My two year old named him Silver Bells. He's 14 or 15 weeks old now, and so far he's only crowed 3x. My fingers are crossed that he's quiet, because I live in a suburb!

484214429_DULR6-M.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe it's just the pic, but he looks like a self-blue to me?? On my screen, that's no splash (and maybe I need to take back what I just said about no entirely blue Polish)??
lol.png
He's awfully pretty. I hope he stays quiet for you, too!

I was just guessing that he's a splash, I'm sure you all know better than I do! I got him in the crested assortment from Ideal so I didn't specifically order him as anything particular. His crest is the same coloring as the rest of his feathers, but today I think I saw a few spikey white feather shafts popping up and getting ready to sprout. He has a few darker spots on his body, but mostly he's that same pretty gray all over.

Here are a couple more pictures.

480351511_Bf99o-M.jpg

480353920_GxaXh-M.jpg

See him in the background there? It was a windy day.
lau.gif

459820740_y9uYX-M.jpg

This was when he was quite a bit younger, when he had a deceiving pullet crest going on.

So if he is a self-blue, what will happen now when I breed him!?! Is there a book or an article about how it works somewhere that I can read?

If he stays quiet, you all will be seeing some interesting crosses. I want to breed him with my little black Crevecoeur in the windy picture posted up there.

Last edited:
I double checked and Ideal sells white crested blue but not self-blue.

idunno.gif

But after googling a bit he does look like a self-blue to me! Is it possible that as he matures his crest will grow in white?

Back
Top Bottom