Polish Chicken Genetics

Hazel1352

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2022
I want to make sure I have this correct so I know going forward what my plans will be.

GL - Golden Lace = Golden base + Lace
BL - Buff Lace = Golden base + Lace + Dom White (2 copies)
To - Tolbunt = Golden base + Mottling (2 copies)
CC - Candy Corn = Golden base + Barring (at minimum 1 copy need)

Example Pairings;
BL Roo x GL = 100% Golden base + Lace + 1 Copy of Dom White (so birds will look Buff with some darker gold tones, and both Lacing w/ Black and w/ White)

To Roo x GL = 100% Golden base + 50/50 on Lace expressing + 1 Copy of Mottling (offspring are either Golden Lace or solid Golden)

CC Roo x To = 100% Golden base + 1 copy Mottling + 50/50 on Barring if Roo is Het / 100% Barring if Roo is Homo Barring. And all Males will be barring and females will be 50/50 on Barring ? (so chance of more Candy Corns or Golden Lace, both carrying for Mottling)

CC Roo x BL = 100 % Golden base + 1 copy Dom White (so lighter golden colors) + possible lace + possible Barring. (so chance of lighter colored Candy Corn, with more white than usual? and Candy corns would be male, and females are 50/50)

Am I getting this correct? If not, what am I getting wrong?

I want to make sure I have this correct so I know going forward what my plans will be.

GL - Golden Lace = Golden base + Lace
BL - Buff Lace = Golden base + Lace + Dom White (2 copies)
To - Tolbunt = Golden base + Mottling (2 copies)
CC - Candy Corn = Golden base + Barring (at minimum 1 copy need)
@nicalandia do Tolbunt and Candy Corn Polish have lacing too? I know the mottling or barring makes it look different, but I thought they still had the genes for lacing.

Example Pairings;
BL Roo x GL = 100% Golden base + Lace + 1 Copy of Dom White (so birds will look Buff with some darker gold tones, and both Lacing w/ Black and w/ White)
I think the chicks will look mostly like Buff Laced, with just a few bits of black leakage in the lacing. But yes, you have the genetics right.

To Roo x GL = 100% Golden base + 50/50 on Lace expressing + 1 Copy of Mottling (offspring are either Golden Lace or solid Golden)
You are correct that the chicks will have a gold base color, and carry mottling without showing it.
I think the offspring will all look Golden Laced. If the Tolbunt do not have the genes for lacing, then the offspring will show partial lacing (not good lacing, but some kind of black on the feathers near the ends.) If the Tolbunt do have the genes for lacing, then of course all chicks will be laced.

CC Roo x To = 100% Golden base + 1 copy Mottling + 50/50 on Barring if Roo is Het / 100% Barring if Roo is Homo Barring.
That sounds right.
And all Males will be barring and females will be 50/50 on Barring ? (so chance of more Candy Corns or Golden Lace, both carrying for Mottling)
If the father has barring, and the mother does not, then chicks of both genders will have an equal chance of being barred: either all of them if the father is homozygous barred, or 50/50 if the rooster is heterozygous barred. When barring shows in males but not females, it is because the mother is barred and the father is not (backwards of your example cross.)

CC Roo x BL = 100 % Golden base + 1 copy Dom White (so lighter golden colors) + possible lace + possible Barring. (so chance of lighter colored Candy Corn, with more white than usual? and Candy corns would be male, and females are 50/50)
Right, except for how the two sexes inherit the barring (same as the previous one.)
Yes, that cross will show more white than either parent.

Am I getting this correct? If not, what am I getting wrong?
I mostly see a problem with your understanding of barring.

With a homozygous barred rooster, every chick (male or female) inherits barring.

With a heterozygous barred rooster, half of the sons inherit barring, and half of the daughters inherit barring.

A barred hen gives barring to all of her sons and none of her daughters.

This is because barring is on the Z sex chromosome. Roosters have ZZ, while hens have ZW. So a rooster gives Z to each chick, no matter what their gender. But a hen gives Z to her sons and W to her daughters. So barring can pass from a hen to her sons, and from a rooster to sons or daughters equally. It can descend through a straight line from grandfather to father to son to grandson, or it can zigzag from grandmother to father to daughter to grandson, but it cannot go from mother to daughter.

@nicalandia do Tolbunt and Candy Corn Polish have lacing too? I know the mottling or barring makes it look different, but I thought they still had the genes for lacing.

I think the chicks will look mostly like Buff Laced, with just a few bits of black leakage in the lacing. But yes, you have the genetics right.

You are correct that the chicks will have a gold base color, and carry mottling without showing it.
I think the offspring will all look Golden Laced. If the Tolbunt do not have the genes for lacing, then the offspring will show partial lacing (not good lacing, but some kind of black on the feathers near the ends.) If the Tolbunt do have the genes for lacing, then of course all chicks will be laced.

That sounds right.

If the father has barring, and the mother does not, then chicks of both genders will have an equal chance of being barred: either all of them if the father is homozygous barred, or 50/50 if the rooster is heterozygous barred. When barring shows in males but not females, it is because the mother is barred and the father is not (backwards of your example cross.)

Right, except for how the two sexes inherit the barring (same as the previous one.)
Yes, that cross will show more white than either parent.

I mostly see a problem with your understanding of barring.

With a homozygous barred rooster, every chick (male or female) inherits barring.

With a heterozygous barred rooster, half of the sons inherit barring, and half of the daughters inherit barring.

A barred hen gives barring to all of her sons and none of her daughters.

This is because barring is on the Z sex chromosome. Roosters have ZZ, while hens have ZW. So a rooster gives Z to each chick, no matter what their gender. But a hen gives Z to her sons and W to her daughters. So barring can pass from a hen to her sons, and from a rooster to sons or daughters equally. It can descend through a straight line from grandfather to father to son to grandson, or it can zigzag from grandmother to father to daughter to grandson, but it cannot go from mother to daughter.
THANK YOU SO FREAKING MUCH!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom