Polish chickens and the cold

SerHendipity

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 4, 2014
I absolutely love the polish breed. I had a buff colored named Phyllis that during the last cold spell I found in the coop had died suddenly. She had been fine. I keep two chicken warming pads. One on the ground for the 2 silkies and I set one up for the polish to roost on. They were using it every night. After Phyllis died it left me with one polish roo. He lived with 2 silkies at night and a small mixed flock during the day. Our recent and hopefully last cold front is here now. Temps in the low teens at night and low 20s during the day. I always offer outdoor run time during the day for all my chickens. I encased​ the run with plastic so they won't get too much wind. They can always go back into Thier house where it's warmer as an option. The heating Matt is always on. I went out today to find my roo died during the day. Just like Phyllis. No rhyme or reason. It has been unusually windy here the past few days. Should I have left him closed up in the barn with out opening the little door to go out? I have 4 more on order with a delivery date in June but I'm not sure if u should proceed with it. Do other polish owners let them out or keep them in when temps drop below 30? It's one of my favorite breeds and I hate to give up on it if I can change what I am doing. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear of the losses.

How old were these guys?

I used to have polish and they did fine clear down to 0. I never kept them long enough to see if they could make it through negative temperatures.

:hugs also check out the polish thread mentioned by CTken

So sorry for your losses. I don't know much about Polish. Hopefully Yorkshire Coop (greeter) will be along. She raises Polish, although I don't think UK, gets as cold as some US states do.

Greetings from Kansas, SerHendipity, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Sorry to hear about your loss.
sad.png
I have had a few Polish over the years - they are a smaller framed bird but I did not find them anymore susceptible to the cold the my other birds. In fact, I thought they might handle it better since they always wore that nice feathery "hat" and didn't lose heat from an exposed comb??
idunno.gif
I wish you well with your flock and thank you for joining BYC!
celebrate.gif

welcome-byc.gif

The only Polish I have had experience with was a "freebie" added into a hatchery order. We didn't have him long, we lost him early. Hopefully the members on the Polish thread can give you some assistance, I wouldn't cancel your order yet.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom