Polish Chickens ++Updated with Pics+

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rooster0209, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    When do Polish chickens start getting their top hat?

Mine are almost three months old and have yet to get the long head feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contacted MMM this morning. They didnt send the Polish, the hatch was bad that day. They are Silver Laced Wyondottes.....at least they go with the RLBW that I ordered. So not all is lost

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Songster

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    The "poof" on their head should be visible from birth, but I dont know when the fuzz turns to feathers....

Sorry.

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I should think they would have some feathering already at 3 months...these guys are 2 months old...
    [​IMG]

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yeah, you should have seen it right from the start, if you can't, I don't think you have Polish.

5. rooster0209

rooster0209 Songster

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I emailed MMM and asked. I am now questioning what I actually got. They were supposed to be white top hat black polish.

The birds have silverish feathering thru the body and their heads are either silver or silver-to-grey. I think they maybe silver laced wyondottes and not Polish.

There was a credit on my credit card a week after I received the birds. I never did ask why there was a credit nor did I receive an email explaining the credit.

[​IMG] my husband is polish and I wanted polish chickens [​IMG]

6. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Songster

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Yeah MMM Hatchery is bad about that.

I wanted BLRW so I ordered 15 from them, then like 25 other birds of different breeds. When they sent me my order I only got like 25 birds. There was a little tiny note stapled to the box.

'Sorry BLRW are out. We returned your money.'

Uh WHAT!? Thats the only reason I ordered from them.

So I had to call and grrr, to get a new order of them. But I had to buy 10 extra birds to fill up the box. So I was pretty ticked.

Oh well.

7. I'm sorry. You would have noticed right away if they were Polish.

Here's one girl at 4 days old.

[​IMG]

I'm really sorry. [​IMG] That's horrible.

8. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Sounds like you didn't get polish here's some of my white crested black kids....
    This was at aprox 1 month (ETS - thank God for time stamps or I'd never keep any of these photos straight)
    [​IMG]
    same guy about a week earlier...
    [​IMG]
    hatch mate
    [​IMG]

and these I got from Cackle. They are wc black, blue and some turkens in the shot This was at 1 week they have the visable crest as soon as they dry from hatching, though.
    [​IMG]

I though you meant when would the crests start to feather out, not when do they get a crest. Sorry, but they should have had them from the beginning. I always think they look like someone glued a cotton ball on their heads!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    rooster0209

Can you tell what kind of comb they have? Is it a V comb?

Chris

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    pic's?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: