Polish chicks-When can you tell the difference between hen and roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lovemychix, Nov 17, 2008.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I was just wondering when I will be noticing the difference in the crests between my hens and roo Polish? They are almost 5 weeks and each crests look different on some. I need to get pics and let you guys see but I thought maybe I could find out without. I really don't need a lot of roos.

2. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I wish I could be of more help. but mine wasn't even close to identifying by my ownself for almost 6 months. The kind people here looked her over and gave me an answer by her picture....I think a picture might be very [​IMG] helpful for you.

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The females will have a rounded look and the males will flair out to the sides like a mowhawk. Once their crest are fully feathered out it is easy to tell. Here is Tulip a Buff Laced Polish. With her are some Crevecoeur hens in the photo also. In the second pic the male Roc is behind her. He is also a darker color than the hens. Sorry I could not get a better pic of him!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a 2 week old pic of Tulip the hen I found.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My silver-laced polish are hatchery birds, and their crests were obviously different when I got them at 4wks. The males had no feathering in their crests, and the females had horns like Shrek. As they grew through the next few weeks, the females obviously had poofballs on their heads while the males' crests looked like mohawks.

5. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    ive been going through this same question and answer routine on my polish babies as well. Its very hard to tell on the crests, mine are about 2 months old, but what Im seeing VERY clearly now are red wattles. and from what I understand the boys get bright red wattles, and the girls stay the same color. Start watching for those, I bet you will see them soon.

6. BooeyBird

BooeyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    Missouri
    Can I tell if my week old Polish is too or hen? We recently had to give our cockeral away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by