Polish Crested 5 mos. old cockerel desperately seeking forever home (Chapel Hill, NC)

Chapel Hill Chicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Chapel Hill
Time is running out for this little guy, since ads for him have gone unanswered. :(

Small Polish crested cockerel, 5 months old, was purchased as a week-old pullet, but grew up to be a cute, crowing little cockerel. Mostly black, with green iridescence in feathers. Some brown and white in saddle and tail feathers. Crest is black with white.

He is used to people and can be held and fed by hand. He's a cute little guy and isn't aggressive, but he won't be tolerated by my Welsummer rooster and a few of my older, larger hens. He needs a forever home. Note that he does crow, as all roosters do, so please take neighborhood regulations into account.

Note about the pictures: In some of the pictures, you can see purple on his head. These are where the white feathers are stained purple from an application of Blu-Kote a few weeks ago. He tried to take on a large Brahma hen about three times the size of his ambitious little self, and she responded with a vicious peck to the top of his head. The Blu-Kote was to keep the other chickens from wanting to peck where his head was already tender from more feathers coming in.

I'm not sure how I feel about shipping a 5-mos-old. How far are we talking? I'd be willing to drive a couple of hours to meet halfway, but I would most likely not be willing to ship him due to the stress on the bird and the expense to me.

I live in cumming, ga so halfway would be about 3 hours one way for each of us. I understand your concerns about stress and cost though.

Last edited:
Is there a certain time that you HAVE to have him gone by? Because its going to be a few weeks before i have the time to actually make a trip like that

No, there isn't a deadline, so to speak. I'm just very nervous that my Welsummer rooster, who is about three times as large as the little guy, is going to hurt him if he continues to strut around the yard and crow. My older rooster is fairly quiet throughout the day, but with two crowing, they tend to set each other off in vocal competition. I have wonderful neighbors, but I'm also worried that the increase in crowing due to two roos is turning into a nuisance for them.

Alright, so tell me how this sounds: keep this posting up looking for someone to take him and if someone comes along before i can make the trip then they can have him.

Stella the Cockerel still needs a home, everybody! The backup plan is for a few weeks from now, but I don't know if Stella can remain at my home that long.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom