POLISH EGG SIZE

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
Good morning all you lovely chicken folks! This is for the polish chicken owners out there. I have two quirky, white capped black polish pullets. One just started laying about 3 weeks ago, just over 5 months of age. The other one will likely be laying soon. I undestand that polish lay "medium" size eggs. Mine is laying very small eggs, smaller then the silkies! I undertsand it take a little while for the eggs to become normal size. Wondering what size eggs your polish lay?
Photo of my girl's eggs (22-26 grams) next to a silkie egg (36 grams) an ameraucana egg (50 grams) and a leghorn cross egg (60 grams) for comparison.
Thanks! 😊
34CA4F25-6BE2-400A-B844-6A023946F282.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently had 3 Polish hens, but all are gone now. The layed medium size eggs. and not all that many.
You do have to consider the breed that you have. Polish come in Large fowl, which are not very big BTW, They also come in Bantam, which are not very small BTW. Had one of those long ago. And they can come as mixes with a combo of both LF, and Bantam. That would play with the genetics, and possibly produce a medium size chicken. I do not have experience in breeding such chickens.
Give your Polish girls a while to get the egg production stabilized, and accept whatever they lay. There is nothing that can be done to increase, or decrease egg size.
In pix mine are fully grown already.
Photo0463.jpg

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I recently had 3 Polish hens, but all are gone now. The layed medium size eggs. and not all that many.
You do have to consider the breed that you have. Polish come in Large fowl, which are not very big BTW, They also come in Bantam, which are not very small BTW. Had one of those long ago. And they can come as mixes with a combo of both LF, and Bantam. That would play with the genetics, and possibly produce a medium size chicken. I do not have experience in breeding such chickens.
Give your Polish girls a while to get the egg production stabilized, and accept whatever they lay. There is nothing that can be done to increase, or decrease egg size.
In pix mine are fully grown already.
View attachment 2475053
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Your birds are beautiful! Thanks for the reply! Mine are the large fowl (though not very big) version. I am not expecting much from the polish egg laying wise, got them mostly for fun and they have ended up being unexpected favorites. Was just curious about the egg size, look almost like quail eggs at the moment. 😊

That is same reason I got them for,,, ORNAMENTAL VALUE :love .. The hairdoo does limit their vision ability to just forward somewhat. Regular chickens can see just about 360 degrees. Bad when hawk dangers are present.
I used to give them haircuts during winter, to keep their head feathers from getting wet during drinking of water. Summer, and when warm it was not an issue.
Here is a pix when still not fully grown.
030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom