Polish--flighty?

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
We got a polish egg from a fellow BYC member and hatched it with some Silkies. She seems EXTREMELY flighty and jumpy in comparison to the Silkies. Is this their normal behavior?

Hubby likes chickens that are friendly and he's a bit irritated that after several nights of cuddling it's still doing this. Afraid it will teach the others this behavior.

Your experiences?

Silkies are particularly quiet and docile. I think that Polish are a bit more flighty by nature. I think they are more closely related to the Mediterranean breeds that are known for that.

Well, i can speak from experience on this one because i'm married to one! Its not so much that they are flighty..its more like they are sloooow to catch on to things.

OOH! did you mean chickens???
wink.png

I don't know if I can answer that but I will try based on my experience with my chickens.
Please keep in mind that my chickens are not exactly what I would call pets I personally would consider mine to be farm animals and I don't feel like I spend the time alot of people do interacting with my chickens. I have chickens that come up to me everyday as if to say "Hey how are you doing, oh yes please rub my crop, oh yeh that feels good." and yes I talk to them and I want them all to be as gentle and personable as can be. I see and come in close contact with all my chickens every day and I have never felt like the polish wanted anything to do with me, they are not interested at all. When I enter they leave when I leave they return. This is what they mean by flighty its all most like a totally wild animal they want to get away and be left alone yet are like the squirrels are content to dwell in the yard. Where as a chicken that is cosideres to be docile will typically just come right up to you everyday just like a dog . I'm sure with the proper amount of time, effort, patience and understanding the polish would accept a handler but I just don't put that much effort in to each individual.
Try finding someone that shows the polish and im sure they could give you alot of good pointers on handling the polish.

I have a Polish who is beyond friendly and not the least bit flighty. However we also have a WCB bantum that is almost as bad as the Brabanter of the same age.

Our Polish was flighty as a chick but when she became a pullet I would handle her often and give her treats and she came to trust me after a few days. Now she isn't even afraid of the dog and loves people-contact. I have standard, larger hens who are MUCH flightier than she is.

Back
Top Bottom