Polish Frizzle Hen, found twitching on side

HotWings4Life

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
My polish frizzle hen has been showing signs of a possible sickness or injury. She is around 6 months old, and still eating and drinking. We've had her for about 3 weeks now and the symptoms have been the same until tonight. She only moves to get food, water or into and out of the coop only during the morning and the night. When she does walk, she walks lopsided and with her wings drooping slightly. Tonight when I went to shut the coop I found her on her side and twitching. As soon as she was picked up she stopped twitching, but I brought her inside to be safe. There is no sign of visible trauma, discoloration or bugs. None of our other chickens have shown any of the same symptoms. She was brought to us with another polish frizzle hen of the same age who is not showing any of these symptoms. We only have hens, and I haven't seen any of them picking on her. My best guess is that she has a neurological issue or is partially paralyzed but I would like to hear more ideas and suggestions on what to do.

My polish frizzle hen has been showing signs of a possible sickness or injury. She is around 6 months old, and still eating and drinking. We've had her for about 3 weeks now and the symptoms have been the same until tonight. She only moves to get food, water or into and out of the coop only during the morning and the night. When she does walk, she walks lopsided and with her wings drooping slightly. Tonight when I went to shut the coop I found her on her side and twitching. As soon as she was picked up she stopped twitching, but I brought her inside to be safe. There is no sign of visible trauma, discoloration or bugs. None of our other chickens have shown any of the same symptoms. She was brought to us with another polish frizzle hen of the same age who is not showing any of these symptoms. We only have hens, and I haven't seen any of them picking on her. My best guess is that she has a neurological issue or is partially paralyzed but I would like to hear more ideas and suggestions on what to do.
You don't think she was just taking a dirt bath? All the other issues are concerning as well I just remember the first time I saw one of my girls bathing I freaked out and thought something was wrong.

You don't think she was just taking a dirt bath? All the other issues are concerning as well I just remember the first time I saw one of my girls bathing I freaked out and thought something was wrong.
She was in the grass, and it's after 9 at night here, pretty cold too. She was the only one out and it didn't look quite like a dirt bath.

What were you treating her with? Eould you know if shes been vaccinated for mareks?
I don't know if she's been vaccinated for Mareks, but I was able to rule that out because none of the other hens are showing any symptoms. I haven't been treating her with anything, I havent had an place to start with and she doesnt seem to be in pain.

I don't know if she's been vaccinated for Mareks, but I was able to rule that out because none of the other hens are showing any symptoms. I haven't been treating her with anything, I havent had an place to start with and she doesnt seem to be in pain.
I'm sorry, I misread your top post. Maybe she had a stroke?

Back
Top Bottom