Polish - good layers or not?

Zoomom

Certified Cackleberry Consumer
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have an offer of free Silver laced Polish female chicks, standard size. I think it will be 3 or 4. Are they good layers? I just want some eggs for us to eat and pretty birds since we are in the city.
Is it realistic to expect to get 4 a week from each girl once they start laying? That would be enough for us, but none for giving away.
The friend who has them (they are a week old now) will take care of them and tame them for me until I can get my coop built. I have heard mixed reviews on making Polish pets. Will I need to trim the feathers a bit so they can see?
I plan on telling the neighbors they are fancy silver laced Polish show pigeons, lol.
What do you think?
Thanks for any advice.

I only have one standard Silver Polish and she is not a very good layer. When she does lay, her eggs are very small. My daughter wanted her because she likes the way she looked.

4 eggs then a couple days off..that''s not bad. It would be enough eggs to satisfy everyone if I end up with 4 girls.
smile.png

I have 1 Polish hen and she lays about every other day and a very small egg. They have quite the personality. She is more of a pet than an egg producer. Loves to be held and pampered. If you are looking for eggs, try Leghorns or Rhode Island Reds

Quote:
What does DD mean? Im new to this and don't know about some of these abrev's. I have seen a few, is there a page I can find out and decode this secret language.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom