1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Polish - good layers or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zoomom, May 8, 2009.

1. Zoomom

Zoomom Certified Cackleberry Consumer

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an offer of free Silver laced Polish female chicks, standard size. I think it will be 3 or 4. Are they good layers? I just want some eggs for us to eat and pretty birds since we are in the city.
    Is it realistic to expect to get 4 a week from each girl once they start laying? That would be enough for us, but none for giving away.
    The friend who has them (they are a week old now) will take care of them and tame them for me until I can get my coop built. I have heard mixed reviews on making Polish pets. Will I need to trim the feathers a bit so they can see?
    I plan on telling the neighbors they are fancy silver laced Polish show pigeons, lol.
    What do you think?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I would like to know this also. I have 25 1 week old Polish chicks. do they make good layers?

3. imriu1969

imriu1969 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    SE Ohio
    I only have one standard Silver Polish and she is not a very good layer. When she does lay, her eggs are very small. My daughter wanted her because she likes the way she looked.

4. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,
    About how many eggs a week do you get from her? How old is she?
    Thanks for the reply!
    Zoomom

5. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

My DD has some that lay every other day and some that lay for about three days straight and then takes a day or two off before laying again.

6. Zoomom

Jan 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    4 eggs then a couple days off..that''s not bad. It would be enough eggs to satisfy everyone if I end up with 4 girls. [​IMG]

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My sil has polish , and hers did not lay in the winter. don't know how many eggs per week she gets though.

8. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I have 1 Polish hen and she lays about every other day and a very small egg. They have quite the personality. She is more of a pet than an egg producer. Loves to be held and pampered. If you are looking for eggs, try Leghorns or Rhode Island Reds

9. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:What does DD mean? Im new to this and don't know about some of these abrev's. I have seen a few, is there a page I can find out and decode this secret language. [​IMG]

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Dear Daughter - DD

Dear Husband - DH

Dear Wife - DW

Dear Son - DS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by