Polish - good layers or not?

The two yearling hens I bought in Feb lay anywhere between 3 and 5 eggs per week, but they've both gone 'pretend' broody for some reason so haven't been laying at all for the last 2 weeks. At least they quit trying to sleep in the nest box so I'm thinking they'll start laying again soon. Yes the eggs are small, about half the size of a big brown egg from a Barred Rock or New Hampshire. You'd have to use 2 eggs to equal 1 large egg for some recipes. I know I've posted a picture of egg sizes on this forum, I'll find it.... My hens are sweet, fairly quiet, very cute, small chickens, so they'd make fine pets, but if you really are concerned about the egg production you might want to add at least one more hen to what you think you need. The heavy breed chickens tend to pick at the polish crests making them have a bald spot like a movie version of the friar from Robin Hood, so it would be better if you just got all polish.

6152_img_0440.jpg

The smallest egg at the top is a polish egg, followed by Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, and New Hampshire.
Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I have two polish hens, and 6 standard, heavier breed hens (they are separated). I love my polish. They are both very friendly, and love to be around me. Yes, their eggs are a bit smaller, but they lay pretty regularly- I get an egg every other day from each of them.

I would highly suggest sticking with all polish if you want them. Mine were fine all together until they began to grow their pretty crests in- then they began getting plucked horribly. Now the polish and one rehabbed barred rock live separately. But, overall, I love my polish hens, and yes, they are cuties. But, they can be hard to sex as little ones- easier to tell once they begin to grow a mohawk. Good luck- you'll love them!

Polish start laying very late compared to many other breeds. Ours began to give us eggs at 9 months old and they are medium in size. We get about 3 from ever every week. She is very friendly even though I didn't begin to socialize her until she was a pullet.

I have a silver-laced polish and she lays eggs that look like her. They are tall and skinny. They are bigger than my EEs eggs and she lays pretty much one a day. I heard that they aren't consistently good layers, so I think I got a good one.

It's worth having these gals just to see their hairdoos wobbling around.
lol.png

Like some other people I got our Polish mostly because my son wanted them after seeing this picture on another topic on the forum:
FirstPicfromFuji094.jpg

Otherwise we have a couple from other breeds that are normal, better layers.

Currently we have wayyy too many chickens...we really only intend to keep at the maximum maybe a dozen...
Here's what we currently have as far as crested breeds:
The Straight Run crested:
Around 12 Gold Laced Polish
1 white crested Polish
1 White Polish
1 Silver laced polish
1 buff laced polish
1 white sultan
3 Silver Spangled Spitzhauben Appenzellers
1 suspected all white Polish

-Anna

Back